SGI: Development

OpenSSL - Page 1

Anyone using newer versions of OpenSSL with IRIX? Like say...a 1.x build? And have it work pretty correctly? I can get 1.0.1 to build, but make test fails all over the place. I'm now using mbedTLS (used to be PolarSSL) with curl so that I can download stuff via https with out hassle, since everyone has disabled SSL2 and 3 at this point it seems....
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
armanox wrote: I'm now using mbedTLS (used to be PolarSSL) with curl

and that causes problems?
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
armanox wrote: I'm now using mbedTLS (used to be PolarSSL) with curl

and that causes problems?

No, in fact, I was quite pleased when it built with only one modification (I'm going to send it back to them so they can support us!). The issue is the amount of software that does depend on OpenSSL or GNUTLS.
Someone got LibreSSL working, honestly that is what I would push for.
SGI:
:Fuel: R16000A@900MHz 4GB V12/DCD, 6.5.30 Rin
:Tezro: Quad R16000@700MHz, 8GB, V12/DCD, DM3 6.5.30 Byakuren
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000 2x PA-8900 1GHz 8GB Nazrin
2x ThinkPad x230 i5-3210M 2.53GHz 8GB HD4000 FreeBSD 10.1 Benben & Yatsuhashi
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies, Fuel parts
TeamBlackFox wrote: Someone got LibreSSL working, honestly that is what I would push for.

I had said I got it to build, not that it all worked. The SGI compatibility stuff in there (and I might add, the AIX stuff) was all me, but it requires some pieces that I don't have the time to try to port or develop.
well one step at a time. do certain programs only work right with openssl 1.x?
if so does openssl 1.x fail to build? and if yes is it something that is irix specific and cannot be fixed?
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: well one step at a time. do certain programs only work right with openssl 1.x?
if so does openssl 1.x fail to build? and if yes is it something that is irix specific and cannot be fixed?

OpenSSL 1.0.1 will build, but fails miserably when you run "make test" on calculating SHA1, and I remember it failing to work correctly when I attempted to use it (things just...didn't work).
OpenSSL 0.9.8 is too old to be useful for a lot of things (since everyone has disabled SSL2 and SSL3), but is the last version that is packaged by nekoware for IRIX.
armanox wrote: OpenSSL 0.9.8 is too old to be useful for a lot of things

could you give a few examples?
r-a-c.de
One thing's for sure, the LibreSSL guys didn't think too highly of the state of the OpenSSL code when they forked it.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
foetz wrote:
armanox wrote: OpenSSL 0.9.8 is too old to be useful for a lot of things

could you give a few examples?

It doesn't support TLS 1.1 and 1.2, for example.
Well then, what are our options? Use an old OpenSSL library, somehow debug the newer version, or port libressl - in both latter cases the task is likely to be monumental, but I would imagine the clean codebase of LibreSSL would be marginally easier
SGI:
:Fuel: R16000A@900MHz 4GB V12/DCD, 6.5.30 Rin
:Tezro: Quad R16000@700MHz, 8GB, V12/DCD, DM3 6.5.30 Byakuren
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000 2x PA-8900 1GHz 8GB Nazrin
2x ThinkPad x230 i5-3210M 2.53GHz 8GB HD4000 FreeBSD 10.1 Benben & Yatsuhashi
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies, Fuel parts
vishnu wrote: One thing's for sure, the LibreSSL guys didn't think too highly of the state of the OpenSSL code when they forked it.

they should've kept the build system tho. libressl comes with a bunch of crap such as hardcoded, gcc specific cflags and such
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
vishnu wrote: One thing's for sure, the LibreSSL guys didn't think too highly of the state of the OpenSSL code when they forked it.

they should've kept the build system tho. libressl comes with a bunch of crap such as hardcoded, gcc specific cflags and such

Well that's retarded. But apparently not as retarded as the OpenSSL codebase:

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/bsdcan14-libressl/mgp00001.html

Even if only a tiny fraction of what he's saying is accurate, wow wwwww .. . :shock: :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
In case you're curious, my efforts for IRIX (and AIX) ended due to issues with arc4random and getentrophy. If I have a sudden explosion of free time I might start hacking away at it again, but my port is pretty dead for the moment (plus I'm a few versions behind now too).

Oh, and the fact that IRIX does not support mapping anonymous pages doesn't help either.

funny to read "- Do portability right. " in there. at that they not only completely failed so far but actully made it much worse.
"- Preserve API/ABI compatibility with OpenSSL - We want to be essentially a drop in replacement." which failed as well. e.g. they simply dropped egd stuff completely without leaving any kind of warning, replacement dummy or whatsoever in place.

that aside i'm curious about why the presentation looks like from a 5th grader :P

armanox wrote: Oh, and the fact that IRIX does not support mapping anonymous pages doesn't help either.

that's an easy fix. i did that for my last postgresql builds. i can dig out the details if you're interested
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
armanox wrote: Oh, and the fact that IRIX does not support mapping anonymous pages doesn't help either.

that's an easy fix. i did that for my last postgresql builds. i can dig out the details if you're interested

Yes please, because if I should go back to it (which I may since I still have an interest) it would prove very useful.
armanox wrote: Yes please, because if I should go back to it (which I may since I still have an interest) it would prove very useful.

no prob. just open /dev/zero and map that fd shared. it was based on this: http://man7.org/tlpi/code/online/dist/m ... map.c.html
in my case adopted to postgresql of course but you can use it for anything else
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
armanox wrote: Yes please, because if I should go back to it (which I may since I still have an interest) it would prove very useful.

no prob. just open /dev/zero and map that fd shared. it was based on this: http://man7.org/tlpi/code/online/dist/m ... map.c.html
in my case adopted to postgresql of course but you can use it for anything else

Well, that solved one problem anyway. I'll start to attack the "getentrophy" section next. (I have a libressl-2.1.2 that compiles, but is totally useless).
i didn't have problems with 0.9.8 so far but the thread here made me curious so i built openssl 1.0.2 and ran a few tests. in particular what you mentioned:

Code: Select all

openssl s_client -connect google.com:443 -tls1_2
SSL-Session:
Protocol  : TLSv1.2
Cipher    : ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Session-ID: 377D63936E31C49711BA2193BFE34113C136F9D25C7B753C36B47432D59D67EA
Session-ID-ctx:
Master-Key: E8D9D45EE9F7CF260481744A36E660E0F30CCDF3DCDAC649D95350023AC584DEA05E5D95887D55028ED60E58AE97E079

openssl dgst -sha1 curl_7410.tardist
SHA1(curl_7410.tardist)= ed4f05342ffab45dafc79419244e848416206c5b

also built a new curl and openssh based on 1.0.2 and they worked, too. maybe i missed something but the things i usually do worked all fine. in case you wanna grab them: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16728266&p=7377731#p7377731
r-a-c.de
Interestingly enough 1.0.2a built where 1.0.2 failed for me. Running 'make test' now to see how it does.

Running 'make test' appears successful. They must have fixed something between .1 and .2 because it used to fail miserably. Now I'm going to have to rebuild wget...lol