SGI: Development

First Nekoware package: NetHack: Falcon's Eye

Here's my first contribution - Falcon's Eye. It's a graphical version of nethack. I sent it to /incomming. It's working for me but I'd appreciate feedback, esp. WRT to the packaging.

You should be able to run it from the Games menu right after install.

neko_nethackfe-1.9.3.tardist

http://falconseye.sourceforge.net/

:Octane2: Dual R14K@600MHz, 2GB RAM, V12, 1x72GB HDD
:O2: R10K@175MHz, 512MB RAM, 1x72GB HDD
:Cube: 68040@33MHz, 128MB RAM, NeXTdimension 32MB, 2x 4.3GB HDD

...And lots of other UNIX-like systems for which there is no icon.
Wow, that looks pretty fab. Thanks for the contribution. Will be sure to check it out!
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
That looks awesome, what would you say the minimum spec CPU / Graphics should be for reasonable play?

I'm busy this weekend but I'll plan on next weekend.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
That looks awesome, what would you say the minimum spec CPU / Graphics should be for reasonable play?

I targeted for mips4/IP27, but it would probably run great on even really old machines if you rebuilt it with the included patch. The game engine is based on early-80's UNIX, was ported to DOS with the graphical front-end, then back to NIX. It would be neat to see it running on some really old HW. Somewhere in the DOS era the game lost the concept of the UNIX directory structure and that's alot of what the patch address - restoring home directory for data, etc. This came about because the game directory was used as a network spool rather than using a network stack directly.

It would probably even run really well on an Indy or even older. The library requirements are really light:

ldd ./nethack
libncurses.so => /usr/nekoware/lib/libncurses.so
libSDL-1.2.so.1 => /usr/nekoware/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.1
libpthread.so => /usr/lib32/libpthread.so
libm.so => /usr/lib32/libm.so
libc.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libc.so.1
libiconv.so.3 => /usr/nekoware/lib/libiconv.so.3
libaudio.so => /usr/lib32/libaudio.so
libX11.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.1
libXext.so => /usr/lib32/libXext.so

If you also have neko_timidity++ installed, you'll get music as well as sound effects.

The game appears to resemble something like Baldur's Gate, but the characters move more like paper dolls. It's plays more like a board game.

Wow nice! How much did you have to hack the code to get it to compile? gcc compilation I presume? Or am I owed a backhand from yet another rider of the MIPSPro only high horse... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
This is great work...!

I can't seem to be able to access ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/incoming ... is this where the nethack Falcon has been placed?

The site won't allow me to access the directory... is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks...
Everyone has that issue, we can upload to incoming but the only person who can see the content of incoming is neko, we have to suffer the burden of time til he moves it to beta...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Wow nice! How much did you have to hack the code to get it to compile? gcc compilation I presume? Or am I owed a backhand from yet another rider of the MIPSPro only high horse...

I probably have about two days into the port, and it's MIPSpro.

I have another gift coming shortly too ...

Axatax wrote: I sent it to /incomming.

If you haven't already, drop nekonoko a PM to let him know you've uploaded the file.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Axatax wrote: it's MIPSpro..

vishnu wrote: ... am I owed a backhand from yet another rider of the MIPSPro only high horse... ;)

Whack ! Whack ! Back to the kitchens with you, gcc knave ! And don't burn the toast again !
two girls for every boy ...
It's on the Nekochan FTP server now.

I just started the game and it works nicely on my O2 R10k/250! Many thanks!