SGI: Development

Building the New Ted word processor on IRIX. - Page 2

I'd suspect there's either something wrong with the implementation of some Class invloved, or it's just the geometry or constraints of the Widgets. Try editres to read or change some height, bottomAttachment, bottomWidget or whatever suspect resources you can find.
canavan wrote:
Try editres to read or change some height, bottomAttachment, bottomWidget or whatever suspect resources you can find.

I was not able to find anything simple but to encourage other laborers in the fields who know less than nothing about programming, a screenshot of editres and the problem is below:
Attachment:
teditres.jpg
teditres.jpg [ 163.71 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]

The blacked XmForm is the parent for the screen widgets. Downstream from Mr XmForm the five XmDrawingAreas are (from bottom to top) the white writing area and the four borders. If they use resources, the resources can be changed in the box and applied.

In this case it wasn't anything simple so the results will go off to the author but hey ... editres is a useful tool and not that difficult to use. It's kind of weird that there are no scroll bars, the little blob-inna-box on top is how you navigate. Took me forever to figure that out (tfm is for sissies) :( I believe it's installed by default in Irix ?

In that screenshot, the first thing I'd suspect is the XmScrolledWindow, the parent of the XmScrollBars and the XmForm.

It's the parents' fault ! :D

Thanks, I forgot about object-oriented. I'll check upstream as well ....

hamei, you know how to flash the active (i.e. selected) widget(s) in editres, right? In the tree pulldown, the last line in the menu, "flash active widgets." Thus it's easy to see if the widget you've selected in the tree is actually the widget you think it is in the application. Useful feature, that. Volker Gering, at Siemens, a founding member of the X Consortium, was working on edires 2.0, but I don't think he got very far. Like so much else in the world of X, it only made it half the way there...

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
hamei, you know how to flash the active (i.e. selected) widget(s) in editres, right?

Yes, that's how I found the main drawing window and the four borders. The part I have trouble with is connecting the structures to the source code. If I could choose an item then flash the creating text in the source it would be great :D

hamei, you know how to flash the active (i.e. selected) widget(s) in editres, right?

Yes, that's how I found the main drawing window and the four borders. The part I have trouble with is connecting the structures to the source code. If I could choose an item then flash the creating text in the source it would be great :D

That's where having a class-aware IDE is really an asset. Otherwise you have to do a recursive grep for the widget's name. I'm super busy through at least Monday but I'll have a look at it as soon as I can squeeze two spare seconds together... :|

vishnu wrote:
I'm super busy through at least Monday but I'll have a look at it as soon as I can squeeze two spare seconds together...

Put your cycles into Maxwell - I was able to isolate the problem to where the Original Author could reproduce it.

If us dummies can't fix something, at least we can do enough of the grunt work so that the talented people can .. :P

Roo har har, mateys ! take one talented Jimmer, one cooperative developer (thank you Mark de Does) and one cantankerous old fool who refuses to "migrate" (brawwwk ! brawwwk !) to that effing gtk and ta-daa, a working Ted :

Attachment:
tedsuccess.jpg
tedsuccess.jpg [ 115.8 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

For the curious, it was a default setting in XmPanedWindow that was the culprit.

Now to slog through the drudgery of a tardist ....

Gottit. Actually jimmer already figured out some good Xdefaults, it was just that they were buried at the bottom of three pages of possible Ted settings :) I just had to change from pixels to points ... Not too bad J, thank you. It would have taken me a week to dig out all the various fonts.
Attachment:
ted223.jpg
ted223.jpg [ 171.57 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]

Not so bad, eh ? Looks like it can do a little more than just a letter to granny. Now if vish would just whip that damned Maxwell into shape ...