SGI: Development

Rabbitmq

Anyone else interested in getting Rabbitmq ported?

http://www.rabbitmq.com/download.html

I spent a little time this morning working on getting erlang compiled (which it needs) - I will hopefully get that component compiled and into a tardist this weekend at the very least.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 :O3x0: 2x700mhz R16k/4GB
"I know, we'll write it in Erlang!" Or, How to Ensure That No Developers Will Ever Join Your Project... :lol:

Would be nice though because then we could also add wings3d to Nekoware...

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
"I know, we'll write it in Erlang!" Or, How to Ensure That No Developers Will Ever Join Your Project... :lol:

Would be nice though because then we could also add wings3d to Nekoware...

I'm not a fan that it utilizes Erlang over C/C++, but any time I can make use of my Origins/Tezro in conjunction with my C# I try to. If I ever win the lottery I'm investing in a kickstarter to get Mono ported to MIPS/IRIX.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 :O3x0: 2x700mhz R16k/4GB
I'm sure it does what it says on the tin, alas I was turned off RabbitMQ due to an evangelist who insisted on using it tol solve every problem, it was his hammer, and hence saw every problem as a nail.

One of the problems of turning an existing conventional sequential request/response system is you have to reverse engineer every distributed request/response operation and turn it into a sequence of asynchronous operations, that the RabbitMQ people then invent RPC over MQ is to admit defeat and in an instant destroy the advantages of highly asynchronous systems.

That would be great if you could do it ... I've "compiled" erlang (said it succeeded but in practice, refused to make any executables that work) a few times with no non-trivial success. I really like variety but an old stick tied to your leg with a bandana is no substitute for a wheel.

I'm sure it does what it says on the tin, alas I was turned off RabbitMQ due to an evangelist who insisted on using it tol solve every problem, it was his hammer, and hence saw every problem as a nail.

One of the problems of turning an existing conventional sequential request/response system is you have to reverse engineer every distributed request/response operation and turn it into a sequence of asynchronous operations, that the RabbitMQ people then invent RPC over MQ is to admit defeat and in an instant destroy the advantages of highly asynchronous systems.

It's definitely not a solution for everything, but if you've worked with other messaging systems that are platform independent I'd love to hear about it. The next big project that will take to July 1st next year is ramping up and I could use some alternatives.

hamei wrote:
Adrenaline wrote:
I spent a little time this morning working on getting erlang compiled (which it needs) - I will hopefully get that component compiled and into a tardist this weekend at the very least.

That would be great if you could do it ... I've "compiled" erlang (said it succeeded but in practice, refused to make any executables that work) a few times with no non-trivial success. I really like variety but an old stick tied to your leg with a bandana is no substitute for a wheel.

That was one of the issues I was running into on Sunday - I'm hoping to work through those on Monday though. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Adrenaline wrote:
It's definitely not a solution for everything, but if you've worked with other messaging systems that are platform independent I'd love to hear about it. The next big project that will take to July 1st next year is ramping up and I could use some alternatives.

Rather than specifying RabbitMQ I would recommend standardise on either the wire-protocol, eg AMQP or the client API, eg JMS.

That way you maintain portability at some level.

RabbitMQ does support AMQP, so happily use it as a particular implementation for some nodes, rather than the requirement for all components.

At work we have thrown our lot in with AWS, so are using SQS, it uses HTTPS as a lowest common denominator in the API stack, and have a number of different SDKs for different languages. If you have less than a million messages a month you may get away with it being free.