SGI: Development

Slow Spheres - Page 2

Not for me, but vulcan death grip does :( I get the feeling this is perhaps a mouse-focus problem or similar, though I did try changing keyboard focus from 'point-to-type' to 'click-to-type' which had no effect. I'm not sure if there is anything else to change.

I'm running Irix 6.5.22m on IP25 with KONAS graphics. One other feature I find useful for graphics demos like this is the ability to run it in a window, I don't know if this is available or not.

Sorry to be late to the party. It's the 'bored' season here :)

EDIT:

It's not a keyboard focus problem. I tried another one of your programs "thiefs" and while the game plays great, as soon as I hit esc to exit it just freezes. Using the serial console I can killall thiefs and it goes away. sslow is the same, but I had trouble noticing that it had frozen because the graphics move slowly to begin with by design.

If I run thiefs in a window, the same thing happens. I can't kill it with the close window button, nor control-C from tcsh. I need to open another console and killall from there.

I get the feeling something is misconfigured on my system probably the same as agkbill and paulfred. IIRC thiefs worked on my octane (6.5.29). Slowspheres might suffer from the same issue.

Output of versions confirms I have the correct versions of all dependencies installed.

edit again. neverball/neverputt is doing it too!
sybrfreq wrote: edit again. neverball/neverputt is doing it too!

Hmm. Both programs "thiefs" and "sslow" use the SDL-library, and so does Neverball (i guess).
Looks like there is an issue with SDL on your machine.
My SGI machines have died but I'd still like to run various codes written in old-style GL.
Has anyone written an emulator for this predecessor to OpenGL?

Alternatively, I would try to rebuild my Octanes if someone would lend me a set of
IRIX 6.5 CDs (IRIX 6.5.30 OS and IRIX 6.5 compilers). I'm in Cambridge, MA.

Thanks,

Seth
There is one, I can't remember where I found it but I think I might have a copy archived somewhere. Never tried it because I don't have the source to the IRIS GL programs I wanted to run and it doesn't support DGL (what I was hoping it would support).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I guess you mean Iris GL. I have used Ygl under CentOS Linux without problems. Ygl emulates Iris GL and requires
a X11 server. I have attached the Readme file from Ygl (rename .txt to .htm).

i tried yesterday to install the tardist from canavan, but got problems with dependencies of SDL. Before that, i installed exactly the versions mentioned in the first post by Martin Steen. I must say, i'm new to IRIX and i'm a bit confused, why there is still a dependency conflict. These are the results during the tardist-installation of neko_sslow-0.0.tardist:

Code: Select all

Inst> go
ERROR: Conflicts must be resolved.

neko_sslow.sw.eoe cannot be installed because of missing prerequisites:
1a. Do not install neko_sslow.sw.eoe (1)
1b. Also install neko_sdl.sw.lib (9 - 2147483647) from an additional
distribution -- insert another CD or specify another software
distribution.

Resolve conflicts by typing "conflicts choice choice ..."
or try "help conflicts"

The system is an Onxy2 running IRIX 6.5.
kraut wrote: ... the tardist from canavan ... i installed exactly the versions mentioned in the first post by Martin Steen.

My guess is, the tardist from canavan was created with a newer version of sdl than what Martin Steen used. So even if it would probably work with the older sdl, the tardist is expecting the newer version and swmgr won't let you install.

You could try "rules override" but I'd try the newest sdl first. It should just update over the top of the older one. I don't remember running into any problems with sdl upgrades, so should be safe.

warning : I don't have any of that installed at the moment to check. This is semi-educated conjecture.
on Ebay, no one can hear you scream ...
I took this tardist:

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/Nekoware/current/neko_sdl-1.2.13.tardist

From the filename it should be exactly the version which should be required. That's why i'm confused. Anyone got a copy of the version from Martin Steen? Maybe i could work with that.
The error message from inst shows that neko_sdl package version 9 or higher is required. The SDL packaged linked to in Nekoware /current is only version 8. Use the one from /beta instead, which appears to have package version number 12.

It's important to understand that inst doesn't care about the SDL version number in the file name; it's only going by the version code of the package itself. There's a bit more info about package versions in the Nekoware wiki page about Packaging Software that might help clarify things if you want to understand why inst is complaining. Whether you want the background info or not, hamei's suggestion to use the newest SDL package is correct. Always check Nekoware /beta when you encounter this sort of error.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000
@jpstewart: Thanks a lot! That helped me really a lot! I try it the next time and give you a feedback.
The SDL from the beta-repo did the trick. I was able to start slow spheres now:

It's pretty cool but i'm still looking for something impressive for a live-demonstration of the power that system provides. I started another thread for that discussion. Maybe someone could give me a hint for a rendering-project i can use for such a purpose.
Another demo I wrote a few years ago is the "Cube"-Demo:
http://sgi.faktor0.de/cube.html

The "Chromawaves" demo is also still online:
viewtopic.php?t=16721986

-Martin