SGI: Development

Blender 2.5.x on IRIX

Hi, since the threads on blender 2.5 on IRIX are a little old, I wanted to start a new one trying to get info on getting it up and running on IRIX.

Since all Blender stuff seems to be in the computer graphics forum I posted it there, but since it is probably more related to setting up a dev environment I also posted it to this group.

I am a newbie to compiling on IRIX/UNIX/Linux, so forgive my stupid questions.

I found this article on the blender site:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2 ... untu/CMake

so Python 3.1 has been ported thanks to dexter1.

GCC 4.3.1 is in Nekoware - I did see a lot of discussion around here in regards to MIPSpro being better than GCC, but since it seems to be a very big task of rewriting the source code from GCC to MIPSpro, I would rather have a GCC version of blender 2.5 with a performance hit, than none at all.

FFMPEG 3 is also part of nekoware

CMake is that part of the GCC 4.3.1 or do one need the separate cmake 2.4.7 from nekoware.

The rest of the article seems to be env settings and config file changes.

Would this be possible to do or am I on a quest with a path leading to certain failure?

No longer with me:
:Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :ChallengeXL: :Onyx:
MAKHNO wrote:
Since all Blender stuff seems to be in the computer graphics forum I posted it there, but since it is probably more related to setting up a dev environment I also posted it to this group.

MAKHNO - I consolidated your posts into a single thread, please don't cross-post.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
MAKHNO wrote:
GCC 4.3.1 is in Nekoware - I did see a lot of discussion around here in regards to MIPSpro being better than GCC, but since it seems to be a very big task of rewriting the source code from GCC to MIPSpro, I would rather have a GCC version of blender 2.5 with a performance hit, than none at all.

FFMPEG 3 is also part of nekoware

There's the problem right there. It's not so much that gcc is bad as it is that gcc builds and nekoware don't mix. There's been a lot of discussion about that in the past but you'd have to search back to the beginning of nekoware for the reasons.

About your "gcc source" and "MIPSPro source" comment, ummm, that's a subject for heated discussions.