Product ID 0x0, 1 GE, 1 RE, 4 TRAMs
MGRAS revision 3, RA revision 5
HQ rev A, GE11 rev B, RE4 rev A, PP1 rev A,
VC3 rev A, CMAP rev EMC rev C
unknown, assuming 19" monitor (id 0xf)

Input Sync: Voltage - Video Level; Source - Internal; Genlocked - False
Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (1280x1024_60)
Video Format Flags:  (none)
Sync Disabled
Using Gamma Map 0
Monitor Type:  unknown

Code: Select all

# uname -aR
IRIX GreenMachine 6.5 6.5.3m 01221552 IP22

And the original OEM 4GB drive.

# scsicontrol -i /dev/scsi/sc0d1l0
/dev/scsi/sc0d1l0:  Disk          SGI     QUANTUM XP34550SLXY4
ANSI vers 2, ISO ver: 0, ECMA ver: 0; supports:  synch linkedcmds cmdqueing
Device is  ready

It is not that I needed another SGI, but this machine had been on craigslist for a couple of weeks. Despairing for its fate, I bought it. I'm glad I did. It is very clean and well cared for--the owner had bought it brand new in 1996--and it came with with all the original boxes and accesories. Not the highest spec Indigo2, but enough for me. After saving the original OEM drive with its install of 6.5.3, I think I may just install 6.2, since it came with a license for a MipsPro that will will run on 6.2. It came with a delightfully large box of CDs, including the groovy "Adventures of Ratmandu and Whitewolf" binder filled with Developer Toolbox CD's.

Right before I left with the machine, I pulled out some crisp $20's to pay for the machine.

He gave me a sour look and said "That's not enough, it'll be about $40,000" and then we both smiled. Ahh, depreciation...
:Octane2: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O3x0: :Indigo2IMP:
Nice one!

I've got one of these DeveloperToolbox binders too, the theme is the adventures of two magical Indian characters I think?

FWIW: MIPSpro licenses are not versioned, they will work up to the last version. You need the installation media, but the license will won't be the problem.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Very nice! I've always had a soft spot for the Indigo2 Impact machines and yours appears to be in nearly perfect cosmetic condition. That's amazing.

Getting all the accessories and CDs with it is a very nice bonus, too. Have fun with it!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Never seen an SGI unboxing. Nice find.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Wow! :shock:

That thing might be the most mint Indigo2 in existence, anywhere. :mrgreen:

Did the original owner say how much he paid for it? I think they were going for around ten kilobucks in 1996... :o
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
The pictures do belie certain cosmetic imperfections and dust. However, it is great condition. The PO said he was in about $40,000 with software, too.

Thanks for the info re MIPSpro licenses. I have another machine licensed with 6.5 and 7.4, so I thought it might be nice to have a 6.2 machine.
oh yeah, indigo2 with an r4400/250 is neat. it's one of the most compatible systems. if you switch the impact with a pre-mgras card you can run everything from irix4 up to 6.5.22.

and yes, running 6.5.x on this makes little sense since any older version will be a boost in comparison. with 5.3 this one will fly and you can even run coff :D
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: oh yeah, indigo2 with an r4400/250 is neat. it's one of the most compatible systems. if you switch the impact with a pre-mgras card you can run everything from irix4 up to 6.5.22.

and yes, running 6.5.x on this makes little sense since any older version will be a boost in comparison. with 5.3 this one will fly and you can even run coff :D

Since I'd like to do some development on this machine, what is the last version of the SGI compilers to run on 5.3? I've got quite a few discs to look through. I assume that 5.3 is not compatible with Impact, right?
jodys wrote: Since I'd like to do some development on this machine, what is the last version of the SGI compilers to run on 5.3? I've got quite a few discs to look through. I assume that 5.3 is not compatible with Impact, right?

it is. there's a special version of 5.3 that supports impact. the only rub is that it doesn't support xfs but that might not be a problem. however in case of the r4400/250 you'd need an older cpu to install it because that one only works after installing a few patches. funny enough the indigo2 version of irix4 does work due to seemingly less thorough checks :P

as for the compilers, 5.3 had the mips compilers i.e. not mipspro yet. namely mips c 3.19, c++ 4 and fortran77. the c++ is pre c++98 meaning there's no stl and other things common today. the f77 is pretty good because it supports a lot of extras beyond what's defined by fortran77.
bottom line if you're not much interested in c++ or write your own stuff so that it works there 5.3 makes for a nice dev platform. and for the odd case there's still gcc.

EDIT: the proper names are as follows

I  ftn_dev              1021572033  Fortran 77, 4.0.2
I  c++_dev              1021572035  C++, 4.0
I  c_dev                1021572033  C, 3.19
r-a-c.de
Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing!

For some reason, although mine didn't come in a box (but with little usage, from what the previous owner told me), my Indigo² — also a purple, albeit IP28 (i.e. IMPACT/10000) — is in an equally good condition and has the same (or equally) shiny untarnished metal, judging by the picture from the back.
:O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: | PREVIOUSLY ALSO... :O3200: :Tezro: :Indigo2: