SGI: hinv

Indigo2 R4400 250MHz, 320MB, Solid, Impact Compression

Hello, everyone. I'm a newcomer here. Actually, I'm a long time lurker who has finally decided to come out of the shadows and join into the discussions. I used to be somewhat active in the comp.sys.sgi.* newsgroups 8-10 years ago. My Indigo2 was set aside for a number of years, but I've been playing with it again lately. (Amazingly, after five years in storage it booted up just fine!) I thought I'd introduce my Indigo2 now:

Code: Select all

hinv -vm
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 6.0
FPU: MIPS R4000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 0.0
1 250 MHZ IP22 Processor
Main memory size: 64 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes on Processor 0
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version WD33C93B, revision D
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Graphics board: Solid Impact
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 1.1.0
EISA bus: adapter 0

Graphics board 0 is "IMPACT" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
Product ID 0x1, 1 GE, 1 RE, 0 TRAMs
MGRAS revision 1, RA revision 0
HQ rev A, GE11 rev B, RE4 rev A, PP1 rev A,
VC3 rev A, CMAP rev EMC rev C
unknown, assuming 19" monitor (id 0xf)

Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (1280x1024_60)

The EISA bus adapter is an E100 Fast Ethernet card. I actually have Phobos G160 sitting on my desk, but it's still in the original box (even shrink wrapped!) so I'm a little reluctant to install it.

The Indigo2 is connected to a 17 inch Samsung SyncMaster 760V LCD through a cheap 13W3<->VGA adapter.

The box came with IRIX 6.5 pre-installed when I bought it about 8 or 9 years ago. I recently downloaded and installed the 6.5.22 patchset. I should probably do a full re-install (once I get my hands on IRIX media) since I almost certainly messed up the installation in the early days before I knew much about IRIX. (I'm a Linux guy, primarily. But ever since using Solaris 2.x in the early- to mid-1990s, I've had an interest in anything Unix-y.)

I know the system desperately needs more RAM, but it's getting hard to find (and consequently rather expensive). I almost purchased an Octane recently, and have a few Octane accessories already sitting on my desk waiting for a home. So I'm not sure if I'll upgrade the RAM or not. I've heard older versions of IRIX run better with 64MB, so I may downgrade the OS instead.

I'll try to get some pictures to post.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Hi,

jpstewart wrote: Hello, everyone. I'm a newcomer here. Actually, I'm a long time lurker who has finally decided to come out of the shadows and join into the discussions. I used to be somewhat active in the comp.sys.sgi.* newsgroups 8-10 years ago. My Indigo2 was set aside for a number of years, but I've been playing with it again lately. (Amazingly, after five years in storage it booted up just fine!) I thought I'd introduce my Indigo2 now:

Welcome (back)!
There are a couple of empty Octane cases for sale on Ebay these days, if you're looking for a shiny new home for your Octane parts... :mrgreen:

Southwestern Ontario, anywhere near Atikokan? :?:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: There are a couple of empty Octane cases for sale on Ebay these days, if you're looking for a shiny new home for your Octane parts... :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with all the temptations eBay currently has to offer. Most of the vendors want nearly $100 to ship the $20 empty Octane case, though. I keep hoping an Octane will show up within driving distance to avoid shipping one of those beasts.

vishnu wrote: Southwestern Ontario, anywhere near Atikokan? :?:

Nope. Atikokan is Northwestern Ontario. I'm nowhere near that far north nor even that far west. "Southwestern Ontario" generally refers to the Windsor/London area (and even a little further east). The area southwest of Toronto, basically. I'm actually between Buffalo NY and Detroit MI. Atikokan is roughly 1000 miles (or 1600 km) northwest of me.
HP C8000
Yeah, I'm quite familiar with all the temptations eBay currently has to offer. Most of the vendors want nearly $100 to ship the $20 empty Octane case, though. I keep hoping an Octane will show up within driving distance to avoid shipping one of those beasts.

We've sent a couple hundred Octane/Octane2's to the recyclers over the past few years and none of them have shown up on the secondhand market... :cry:

Nope. Atikokan is Northwestern Ontario...

Ah! I get it, Atikokan is in the Southwestern section of the Northwestern part... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
jpstewart wrote: I've heard older versions of IRIX run better with 64MB, so I may downgrade the OS instead.

Seems like you need to talk to SAQ .
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Thanks to Mike in this For Sale thread , I've finally been able to upgrade to a reasonable amount of RAM at a reasonable price. I got 2x128MB kits from him and now my Indigo2 totals 320MB. It swaps a lot less (obviously!) and so it now performs surprisingly well as long as you keep in mind that it is a 15 year old computer.

hinv -vm
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 6.0
FPU: MIPS R4000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 0.0
1 250 MHZ IP22 Processor
Main memory size: 320 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes on Processor 0
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version WD33C93B, revision D
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Graphics board: Solid Impact
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 1.1.0
EISA bus: adapter 0
IMPACT Compression: unit 0, revision 0:0

Oh, yes: I also scored an IMPACT Compression card off of eBay last month (although I'd be willing to bet that that seller was also a forum member here). I guess I'll have to excavate down to make some desk space near the I2 for some video gear!
HP C8000
Edited the original post to change the thread title to reflect the new configuration.
HP C8000