SGI: hinv

Guidelines for "hinv"-Thread

Hello to all,

i do not want to be the master/teacher/instructor.

But i have a small problem with the "hinv"-Thread.

On the Forum-Mainpage you can read:

hinv

A place to post hardware inventories; format is topic: basic system description; body: output of hinv -v

Does it not mean something like that:

Topic:
Tezro V12 4xR16K 700MHz
O2000 6CPU R12K
O2 R10000 175MHz, 384MB RAM

Body: output hinv -v bla,bla,bla

But what kind of machine is this:

Topic:
me too ;-)
my Octane and my O2
Dev system/video editing, O2
Nekochan.net webserver O2
just upgraded Octane
Home Origin 2000 :)

and so on, and so on.

Could we standardize it?

Topic:

Kind of machine (O2, Octane, Tezro, Onyx2, etc.)
CPU (R10k 250MHz, R12k 300MHz, R20k 1000MHz, etc.)
RAM (in MB)
Graphic-Option

And one topic for ONE MACHINE.

So you can see at first sight if the machine is interesting for you.

(i have to apologize to you for my horrible english)
You have a valid point. I will try to reedit that particular posting.
Thomas W. wrote:
(i have to apologize to you for my horrible english)

Don't care about it, it's not as horrible as mine with my french-english words. ;)

And for this thread rules, you're absolutely right.
while we're at it.. i'd also suggest posting hinv -mv instead of only -v as most people did so far..
-m gives quite a bit additional interesting output on most newer machines (part numbers and such)

so long,
Timo
Also don't forget to check 'Disable Smiles in this post' on hinv output; this prevents something like the following line from being munged:

Disk drive: unit 8 on SCSI controller 4 (unit 8)

i.e. the "8)" at the end becomes a smiley face if this is not checked (it's been checked on this post).

I went through and fixed a couple posts already.

All Rights Reserved.
1. irix version
2. maybe a picture?

;)

• They can be useful records of factory configurations
  • They provide useful compatibility information about non-factory configurations
  • They can help identify working or incompatible firmware or board-level revisions
  • They provide fun hints of what's possible to somebody thinking of buying one
  • Mining these listings can help solve problems posted in other forums

So for all of these reasons, as well as a little healthy bragging about your shiny new toy, please consider posting and maintaining a "hinv" thread for your SGI machines.

Your thread topic or subject should follow this general format: Model, CPU(s), RAM, graphics, storage, and other options. Some examples:

Within the body you can talk about how you acquired the machine and what you'd like to do with it, but please include as much of the following as possible/applicable :

• hinv -v (-vm if you can)
  • gfxinfo -v (-vv if possible)
  • uname -a (-aR if appropriate)
  • scsicontrol -i /dev/scsi/* (change path as needed)
  • /sbin/diskpatch -v
  • L1/L2 serial all
  • L1/L2 flash status
  • L1/L2 env
  • L1/L2 pci

Enclosing the output from these commands in "Code" blocks using the "full editor" can help keep things organized and easily readable. Also consider checking the "Disable smilies" option below the editing window, as some machine output may be interpreted as a smiley and won't display properly otherwise.

Pictures of the machine(s) are encouraged, but please keep in mind the fact that the board doesn't have infinite storage. Unless you're posting a detailed close-up for a specific reason, consider limiting your image to at most 1k pixels high or wide, and use an image format that supports compression like JPEG. Posting a 10MB RAW or JPEG image straight from the camera means some poor moderator will have to download it, reduce the size, and then replace it - best to keep "creative control" and edit it before you upload it. ;)