SGI: Security

Issue with account passwords

It's sad to say but in all my years I have NEVER had to change an account password until now.
What's annoying me is that my root account will accept pretty much accept anything as a password but my regular account is limited to a password that is between four and eight characters long and contains at least one numerical digit and I hate having different passwords for different systems. Is there anyway to bypass the current password rules? Account "Will" needs a face lift. ;)

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote:
Is there anyway to bypass the current password rules?

man passwd

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
All hail the mods!

I forgot about passwd. Well I got what I wanted now.
Now it's time to change the profile photos.

EDIT: How do I change the login name? I don't want to see if changing the home directory will do it because I might mess up.

pentium wrote:
All hail the mods!

I forgot about passwd. Well I got what I wanted now.
Now it's time to change the profile photos.

EDIT: How do I change the login name? I don't want to see if changing the home directory will do it because I might mess up.

vipw. You can also use jot or something similar to hand-edit /etc/passwd AND /etc/shadow.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I got it now.
I just need to figure out how to change my name from Will to John now.

System Manager > Security and Access Control > User Manager > Modify a User Account

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Yes, I tried there but It will only let me edit the Full name. The account name (will in this case) I have no idea how to change.

You go through an editor to the base password files (/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow). Make sure they are both in sync, or else you won't be able to login. Change the first field (username) to whatever you want your new name to be, but don't change the UID (or else you'll have to reset all permissions/ownership). Change the home directory and rename, and then you can mess with the GECOS fields to change the full name.

Open /etc/shadow and change the first field to the new name from the old name.

You should be good to go.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
The correct way would be to create a new account. You would then copy the contents of the old users home directory to the new one, then chown the files to the new account.

You could also manually change the username in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files. I would also change the home directory to match the new username as well anyway to avoid confusion later. However I don't recommend this route if you aren't already familiar with these files already.

For me that would be an aesthetic change. Besides, I don't know what the system would do if I changed the name of a user directory.

EDIT: There we go!
I got it.