Japan

A great cooking channel on YouTube

Well, I was hanging out on some other 'chan and got hooked on a Japanese cooking show. Living by the adage that the only real stumbling block in cooking is fear of failure, I gave it a go. Following the video below I was able to complete the dish with relative ease. Figured with the interest in Japanese culture around here, I should share it with you folks.

"Cooking With Dog" ... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

:P
To serve man! "It's a cookboooooook..." :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
That most certainly looks like a Calorie-bomb! And you can see that dog thinking "Meh, all those veggies..."
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
YOU LIKE BUTTON!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Can't help think about the chicken scene in Poltergeist.. (I will leave you to youtube it rather putting a pic up, in case you are having your tea).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: Can't help think about the chicken scene in Poltergeist..

You're a bad man and you should feel bad! :lol:
all these asian-type recipes i come across want me to add a bunch of corn starch
what does it do, just make things crunchier?
:Octane2: 400Mhz V8
surrealdeal wrote: all these asian-type recipes i come across want me to add a bunch of corn starch
what does it do, just make things crunchier?

Typically corn starch is just used to thicken things like glazes, or for building a slurry if you decide to make gravy the blasphemous (non-roux) way. I have also seen it in recipes for batter, for instance if you are frying chicken you might want to have a thicker batter that will stick to your chicken more easily then you would get just using egg and flour.

Personally, I don't use cornstarch much at all, especially for any of the things I mentioned above. For instance, if doing a fried chicken in an East Asian style I would use a batter of potato starch and egg. Southern style I would just heavily season a dredge of flour, no wet.

And if your going to make a gravy, for the love of all that is holy make a roux. It wont be shiny like you get when it is made with cornstarch, which is good because savory things look real sketch when they shine like the glaze in a cherry pie.