Japan

Battle Royale

Just saw this film and was enthralled... it is probably (although need time to absorb it) one of the best films I have ever seen... what a fantastic film.

Googling "Battle Royale" I see it is available in Manga... it's a word have seen a lot without understanding much about it... but reading the wiki entry I realize how big the manga scene is.

Can anybody recommend some classic "introductory" Manga that I can purchase to explore this culture further? Are there any real classics?

Many thanks.
Ed
"Scud" East
Sun Blade 2500 'Silver' Workstation - Dual 1.6 USIIIi, 4GB, 146GB SCSI, Solaris 10U9
Sun V210, 2x1.33 USIIIi, 8GB, 73GB 15K, Solaris 10U9
Sun V100, USIIi 550, 1.5GB, 40GB, Debian Lenny 5.X
it might be worth pointing out that in literary usage, the phrase is pronounced "battle royal". not royale with cheese.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup? Mayonnaise. I've seen 'em do it, man. They f*ckin' drown 'em in that sh*t.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Ed: I couldn't possibly tell you where to start, manga was never my primary thing but was always in the ambient. I've noticed that every regular bookstore I've been in for the past ~5 years in the States has at least a small section for manga/graphic novels. Some used book stores carry them, and the closest one to my house will refer any inquiries to a game/comic shop up the road. Hopefully something in that gives you an idea of where you could get your hands on the "genuine article" locally.

I believe a *lot* changes when this stuff jumps the ocean, but I'll leave that to the folks who've spent time there or read them in the original.

Is there not something in the back posts in this sub-forum? I confess I haven't looked...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
ClassicHasClass wrote: You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup? Mayonnaise. I've seen 'em do it, man. They f*ckin' drown 'em in that sh*t.

In China they put sugar on tomato slices instead of salt. If the tomatoes are cold it's not as bad as it sounds. The first time I said, "Pass the salt, please ?" everyone looked at me like I was ready for the brain hospital.

Sugar on popcorn, too. Then they claim that fast-food is bad for you ...
The time has come for someone to put his foot down ...
ClassicHasClass wrote: You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup? Mayonnaise. I've seen 'em do it, man. They f*ckin' drown 'em in that sh*t.

I recognize the quote, but man you make my mouth water :D
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Sugar on popcorn, too. Then they claim that fast-food is bad for you ...

But that's just, essentially, kettle corn, isn't it? (Though I'd argue that's even worse than salty buttery popcorn.)

I recognize the quote, but man you make my mouth water :D

Some areas of the USA have something called fry sauce, which is roughly mayonnaise and ketchup mixed in equal parts. I rather prefer it to regular old ketchup, and I've found just plain mayo with my fries is pretty damn good too. :)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Shouldn't that be Hollandaise? :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
no, they are better with mayo. people around here look at you funny but it's worth it. Surprised, I couldn't find orange mayo last time I was over there. :lol:

(you could argue the average french fry over there is a lot better than what you will find here, tho arby's and chik-fil-a will give them a run for their money)

Only manga I've read was Initial D, and that was some time ago. I really liked it at first, but I was also really into cars at the time.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: Surprised, I couldn't find orange mayo last time I was over there. :lol:

That must have been around Queensday (now Kingsday), or during a soccer world championship. Then the whole country turns orange :)
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
If I may diverge from the food discussion, there's also the gray area of online fan translated manga.
The publishers apparenly don't care about it because their target is only japan. But do support the mangaka making these awesome works by buying their work if you are able.

Up here it's practically impossible, the only decent source I know is in sweden (the famous science fiction bokhandeln)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I'm British not American.. but got the name from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)

Even the film poster states "Royale" :)

However many thanks for the suggestions..

smj very useful thanks :) and R. thanks for the pm!
"Scud" East
Sun Blade 2500 'Silver' Workstation - Dual 1.6 USIIIi, 4GB, 146GB SCSI, Solaris 10U9
Sun V210, 2x1.33 USIIIi, 8GB, 73GB 15K, Solaris 10U9
Sun V100, USIIi 550, 1.5GB, 40GB, Debian Lenny 5.X
duck wrote: If I may diverge from the food discussion

They were just using food as a vehicle for Pulp Fiction quotes. Much as people use french fries/pommes frites/frieten as a vehicle for salt and ketchup, mayonnaise, etc.

duck wrote: Up here it's practically impossible, the only decent source I know is in sweden (the famous science fiction bokhandeln)

For a brief moment I hoped this might have been a real-world inspiration for the movie Astrópía , but it looks very serious in comparison - which that movie definitely is not... (Not to mention being off by ~2,000 km).

Astrópía: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astr ópía
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: They were just using food as a vehicle for Pulp Fiction quotes. Much as people use french fries/pommes frites/frieten as a vehicle for salt and ketchup, mayonnaise, etc.

Well it did morph into mayonnaise-tastes-good after that.
smj wrote:
duck wrote: science fiction bokhandeln

For a brief moment I hoped this might have been a real-world inspiration for the movie Astrópía , but it looks very serious in comparison - which that movie definitely is not... (Not to mention being off by ~2,000 km).

I'm not sure how you made that connection, but the movie looks somewhat interesting...
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
duck wrote: I'm not sure how you made that connection, but the movie looks somewhat interesting...

The movie is very silly, but fun in a low-budget way. As for making the connection - probably requires large quantities of beer and having no memory at all of where the movie was set...
smj wrote:
duck wrote: I'm not sure how you made that connection, but the movie looks somewhat interesting...

The movie is very silly, but fun in a low-budget way. As for making the connection - probably requires large quantities of beer and having no memory at all of where the movie was set...

While we're on weak connections, I recently read a fun manga about a guy who just started a job at a manga store... Denkigai no Honya-san is the romanized name.