SGI: Computer Graphics

Origin 200 used as render nodes?

Did anyone ever use the Origin 200 as render nodes in combination with an O2 or Octanes?

I remember you could hook up two of them for four processors in all.

Mostly I think people used them as storage drives but since they are servers did anyone use them as farm render nodes?

As in having extra threads for rendering frames on a single render or just a nice way to have firepower for Maya batch renders utilizing the procs and render cpus?
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher
i had use an Origin 2000 as render node and an Octane as display for it while using blender

cheers

Eve
Yeah you can craylink two machines together if you want the machines locally but for network render nodes it's totally possible.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Wow, just randomly today looking at old information stumbled upon an article which has a photo of a 1000 render node farm at PDI/Dreamworks in 2001 and lo a behold.... the nodes are all SGI Origin 200.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4803

That must have been a million dollars+ of Origin 200.

JEEZ :o
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher
Intuition wrote: Wow, just randomly today looking at old information stumbled upon an article which has a photo of a 1000 render node farm at PDI/Dreamworks in 2001 and lo a behold.... the nodes are all SGI Origin 200.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4803

That must have been a million dollars+ of Origin 200.

JEEZ :o

Well the article says 20% IRIX, so it would be 200 Origin 200s but still, lots of Origins.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image
Even before acquiring PDI, DreamWorks in Glendale was rendering using Linux. They have older Origin 200 servers running IRIX but are switching to much cheaper Pentium computers.

So I think the O200s in the photo were in Glendale, and the three racks of O2000s mentioned but not shown were in Palo Alto.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Almost makes you long for the days when the only organizations that could afford that much IRIX power were the movie studios that were making hundred million dollar blockbusters... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Almost makes you long for the days when the only organizations that could afford that much IRIX power were the movie studios that were making hundred million dollar blockbusters... :lol:

Don't forget the aircraft manufacturers, mining companies, drug companies, and auto manufacturers! Oh, and the government labs and weather services!
josehill wrote:
vishnu wrote: Almost makes you long for the days when the only organizations that could afford that much IRIX power were the movie studios that were making hundred million dollar blockbusters... :lol:

Don't forget the aircraft manufacturers, mining companies, drug companies, Big Pharma, and auto manufacturers! Oh, and the government labs and weather services!

There, fixed that for ya! ;)

Oh, and Big Oil too... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: There, fixed that for ya! ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)
josehill wrote:
vishnu wrote: There, fixed that for ya! ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan: