SGI: Computer Graphics

SI|3D 2.6 Info

Does anyone have any kind of information on this version of Softimage 3D? I've come across a copy of it but the only thing I can dig up is that licenses are nodelocked and impossible to get now. I can't find anything on minimum, recommended or maximum system requirements, or what systems it supported.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I have a couple of these old tapes too:

SoftImage 2.66
SoftImage dev kit
SoftImage ray rebels
SoftImage ray rebels kit only

Otherwise I can't help you. Never tried to load it on a system, never looked into the licensing scheme. I wonder what Ray Rebels is -- the name sounds kind of funky :mrgreen:
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I found a reference that claims Ray Rebels was a plug-in that was renamed "3D Extreme Effects".
There was a contemporary plug-in called Minerva that was rechristened "SI Custom Effects".
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
According to this link (stanford.edu) there was a floating license scheme available for Softimage around that time. The license info is near the bottom of the page under the "Components of the SoftImage package" heading.

Softimage wove a convoluted path through it's various corporate overlords, and met a very undeserved and ignominious end. :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
pentium wrote: Does anyone have any kind of information on this version of Softimage 3D?

yup but i'm not gonna talk about the licensing system because of the forum rules :P
as for the rest, it runs on a vast range of systems and is quite light compared to the other gfx stuff that was around at the same time. it was before microsoft bought it and was still called "Softimage Creative Environment".
the package was completely coff until 2.66 which included a mips1 o32 binary of the main program for irix 5. considering a number of things it should run on pretty much everything up to vpro. the latter tho is likely to have some display issues.
it looks like all other si3d versions except for the one difference that it had 6 menus in the upper right pane.

oh and, it looks like this :D :
r-a-c.de
Ah, okay. So it's a very early 90's release and thus it runs on just about anything. Interesting tidbit about the possible floating licenses but again, you'll never find that. I guess I have a cool conversation piece at the least.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
It was a very buggy release . Softimage released a ton of revisions in rapid succession, but apparently issues remained. I believe 2.66 was the last of the 2.x releases.
according to a later hrcConvert version:

Code: Select all

-v          : outfile versions can be

although i think if someone is using such a version today it's mostly because of nostalgia so the bugs might not bug him too much :D

EDIT: this should be moved to the graphics forum btw :-)
r-a-c.de