SGI: Computer Graphics

installing blender irix!

Hello, long time since i visited nekochan.

I need some help installing blender on my sgi computer.

By the way, i found an easier way to share my irix files from a mac mini to sgi machines.

To share files from mac mini ( lion osx), i just used the build in ftp service, which has to be enabled via shell commands ( apple did removed the easy graphical ftp userinterface!).

one's that has been done, just hook up mac mini and indy r5000 , or indigo2 r4400 to the
network.

in irix (6.5.23), i just did go to the netscape browser and typed in my mac mini ip, like
this http://192.168.0.33/~mymacmini/

after that, all my irix files is easy accessible via the ftp, which i can download any files from irix.

Here is my question anyway.

1: I just downloaded blender irix version on blender.org website. ( i should be version 2.6 ?!).

On blender.org, it says , for installing blender, just launch unix shell and type ./blender

On the website it allso say something about "starting or running x ". ???, properly they mean x-window!.
x-window is allready loaded, i
asume , when starting and login into the desktop / toolchest etc ?.

Ofcourse , when i downloaded the file , i did extracted the by right clicking on blender and did extract the file from file menu.

Next thing is to, type ./blender as i did.

but i get errors, file not found, maybe because i forgot to change dir to /usr ?.

i did change the dir by typing
cd /usr (i think it was!).
cant remember unix shell commands. ( used to play around unix shell command long time ago!).

When finally irix found the file,
i tried again with ./blender ,
now it complains with the following error like: permission denied.

I cant remember how to change the permission in a file, but i remember its something like cmod 777!.
There is allso a file permission thing in irix, which you can change the permission for the file.

Can anyone here help me or guide me step by step, how to
install blender on my sgi machine?.

I think the blender file i downloaded is allready compiled version?.

Sorry, more question,

2: I would like to get softimage 3d 3.7 or 4.0 and maya 6.5,
but can my sgi machines handle softimage and maya well ?

I think my machines graphics card dosent support texture, but what does it mean, if the graphics card doesent support texture, is it relateted to realtime hardware texture framebuffer ( or whatever its called!), is missing, which mean that the graphics cant display realtime 3d graphics with texture ?.
If you're using softimage creating a 3d model with texture and render it static as a jpg picture or avi animation, shurely the texture will be rendered, because the rendered texture is created by the software ?.

sgi computer hardware info:

Indy R5000 250 MB RAM, 4.5 HD, XL24 graphicsboard.

Indigo2 Impact r4400 with 4 gb hd, solid impact graphics board, 200 mb ram.
those machines can support OpenGL texture mapping through a software driver. Performance will be much lower than hardware texture mapping, but for 3d modeling it doesn't really matter. configurations like yours were standard spec for 3d modeling workstations running Softimage (specifically the Indigo2 Solid Impact).
When you *render* a scene, graphics hardware is not involved at all. The *rendering* algorithms are all written in software. the 3d hardware acceleration is only for previewing and interactive modeling.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
exactly!

ps. writing on iphone hope the iphone
dosent mess up my text!.

thank for answering my question related to
hardware texture / graphics!.

Hope someone would explain how to install
blender!.
Sorry, similar question regarding installing blender,
has been posted in this forum by a user, just found the post / thread!.

now i am gonna do a bit resarch, how to install
blender!.
chears.
henrik2008 wrote: Sorry, similar question regarding installing blender,
has been posted in this forum by a user, just found the post / thread!.

Did you find the 2.49a ? I think that's the newest one on Irix and it wasn't at the Blender site, just here ...
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
Sorry not answering back, i am visiting some
freinds , away from my home.
when i get back i will check the blender version.
I think it was something like 2.49a ?!, i think.
found it ,googling the internet!.

I've get back to you today with more answer!.
have'nt got time to install blender on irix yet!.
henrik.
just got home!.

anyway its version 2.49a from blender.org
website, you can still grap the file!.
here is the link:

http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49a/

and the link to the post related to installing
blender on irix. ( nekochan forum!).

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16723365

chears.
the blender file for irix on blender.org is
"blender-2.49a-irix-6.5-mips-py2.5.tar.gz"