SGI: Computer Graphics

Blender 2.5 Alpha 0 released

This can't be right. I've ported Python 3.1.1 upon specific request to enable the Blender port on IRIX. What has happened?

The hard disk of my build machine has died. Because of limited time I didn't yet manage to find a replacement.

Most of the irix-specific stuff should be in svn, so it shouldn't be too hard to compile blender.

greetings,
sgefant
Uhhhhh... Actually it looks like there's nothing past python 2.5 yet:

https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/irix-6.5-mips/python/
As mentioned, I got Blender 2.48 running on Irix with MIPSpro...some time ago (was it really 1.5 years ago?). And yeah, it's a bit difficult to get it to compile. The Blender core isn't all that bad. A few tweaks here and there are needed to get it to compile, but nothing major. The main issue is the myriad of other libraries that are needed to get any sort of use out of it. There's something close to a dozen libraries that have to be compiled, and some of those rely on other libraries. Each of those have to be downloaded/compiled and tested. Then we randomly started having issues. Half the people who tested the binary reported that it crashed. Personally I was able to get it to open any 32bit .blend file, but 64bit file crashed the thing.

In the end I just ran out of time.

As a side note, I was able to get the Blender Foundation a set of MIPSPro keys from SGI, so if anyone wants to carry on the torch, contact me and we'll see what we can cook up.

With the very re-architected v2.5, Blender should be very interesting in the future,

With Dexter1 having generously ported python3.1.1 if what needs to be done to the source of Blender is something which can be explained and is just tedious slave work I will offer my time and try, if somebody more skilled would do whatever advanced stuff needs to be done.

But does it make sense to look at the curret Alpha 0. Look at this link:

http://www.blender.org/development/rele ... ender-250/

seems that it is not until later betas there really is something new.

Sincerely,

Michael

No longer with me:
:Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :ChallengeXL: :Onyx:
Compared to not having Blender on IRIX if nobody has the time/skills to migrate code to MIPSPro, would a gcc version be able to function?

No longer with me:
:Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :ChallengeXL: :Onyx:
pretty much if you do the work for open source tools. do you still have to use libtool? *shudder*

No need for libtool. Compiling with gcc should work using Makefiles, one just needs to set a variable ("IRIX_USE_GCC" IIRC) in user-def.mk to true.
oh good. that libtool phase was tiresome.

incidentally, has Ton switched of mac to windows or linux? irix suppport droped of when he switched from irix to mac. then mac seemed to have graphics driver support last time i looked; 2+ 2 = 4.

I think Ton's still using OS X, but he's not responsible for the port