Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Irix 6.5.22 desktop icons delay

I have a problem with my Irix 6.5.22 on Indy, I have 2 minutes of loading pause during boot and 1 minutes for desktop icons appears (without hdd work or cpu busy). For the boot screen I have resolved tuning off esp, but for desktop icons I not found a solution...

I have disabled nfs,nis,automount,autofs,webserver,mediad,ts and ecc... nothing! I have edited nsswitch.conf and removed nis, but nothing.... All users is affected. Why? 4Dwm not have a log file for investigate?
check your dns. is that correct?
for further tuning you can also slim down your indetd.conf
r-a-c.de
Yes, dns point to my router/gateway (same others computers in the network) and netscape work. (at the moment I not have Nekoware, is a vanilla 6.5.22)

I need to watch indetd.conf?
Sure sounds like DNS to me. Are you able to ping the router or perform an 'nslookup' ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: Sure sounds like DNS to me. Are you able to ping the router or perform an 'nslookup' ?

Yes dns is ok and I able to go in Internet

nslookup point to my router
Solved! :D

It's very simple... I have a name resolution order: "dns files" and now I have changed to: "files dns" and work great!

Edit: the problem with esp remain... I able to turn off with chkconfig but at shutdown and login show me the annoying message of service disabled. No way for fix or completely remove esp?
marmotta wrote: at shutdown and login show me the annoying message of service disabled. No way for fix or completely remove esp?

what matters is whether it's running or not. as long as it's not running the messages don't matter
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
marmotta wrote: at shutdown and login show me the annoying message of service disabled. No way for fix or completely remove esp?

what matters is whether it's running or not. as long as it's not running the messages don't matter

Is not possible to disinstall with software manager? What package is?

Is a normal to wait 2 minutes to esp start at boot? Is a 6.5.22 bug?

I already have Octane with 6.5.30 and esp start immediately.