Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Errors after installing Nekochan Firefox3

As a former SGI employee (1989 - 1999) I have an Octane running Irix64 6.5 01221553 IP30 and just installed the nekochan_firefox3 including all the dependencies. When I try to execute firefox3 I get these errors:

rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/libglib-2.so.1: strlcpy
rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/libglib-2.so.1: strlcat
rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-3.0.19/libxpcom_core.so: mbrtowc
rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-3.0.19/libxpcom_core.so: wcrtomb
rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-3.0.19/libnspr4.so: freeaddrinfo
rld: Fatal Error: This executable has unresolvable sysmbols

Any help would be appreciated in tracking this down.

Thanks,
Jeff
I think you're running too old of an IRIX release. Nekoware requires at least 6.5.21. Not so coincidentally, 6.5.21 is where strlcpy and strlcat were added. (It looks like mbrtowc and wcrtomb were added at 6.5.17.)
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Thanks, I suspected as much. This is a circa 1997 Octane prototype that my boss said to keep. I only have software disks up to 6.5.5 when I left. The Octane warns on boot "warning prototype heart, chip revision c" so I'm not sure if it would be supported going forward. It has to 195 MHz R10000 processors and 512 Mbytes main memory. Maybe its worth the $50 on ebay for a newer Irix release to find out. The Netscape browser shipped in 6.5.5 is basically worthless without turning off images and java.
welcome jeffe23, always nice to have some ex-guys here :P

unfortunately firefox and gtk2 (which firefox3 needs) are 2 of the worst running programs on irix. these are pure linux/x86 developments and therefore run with zero optimizations of any kind. for having a basic amount of fun with that an r12000 or higher is a very good idea.
for historic purposes and given the used market prices you might wanna leave your prototype octane untouched and grab some other sgi gear from ebay or somewhere else
r-a-c.de
Welcome! As foetz says, always nice to see an ex-guy here!

Just a quick one, but can you not still download the IRIX 6.5.21m overlays from the SGI support site? Of course, this depends upon whether strlcpy and strlcat were added to the maintenance release or not.

On the other hand, given that Rackable are in the process of killing off the IRIX support pages, the IRIX images might have been removed.

One last query (out of interest), does the Octane look any different from the release ones? We do like to see some of the prototype bits here, such as Neko's transparent O2 and jan-jaap's blue Fuel for example.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Trippynet wrote: Of course, this depends upon whether strlcpy and strlcat were added to the maintenance release or not.

They're in the maintenance release.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
jeffe23 wrote: This is a circa 1997 Octane prototype

Cool. Is it transparent or green?
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
I think I can't be alone in saying we'd love to see a couple of pictures of your Octane prototype, assuming you'd be willing to share!
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200: