Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Network CDROM share

Since my Origin's CDROM is inop I'd like to use my Octane's to install Photoshop. Wednesday evening I was able to access the drive, it was getting late so I figured I'd install tomorrow. I haven't been able to access the drive since.

On the Octane, in system manager, I've selected "Start sharing removable media devices", selected "CDROM" and shared. A window pops up and says the "device is now being shared". On the Origin I selected Toolchest_Shared Resources_On Remote Workstation and the Find Remote Resources window opens. I type in the ip address of the Octane and get both the CDROM and my Drive 2 that I have shared. If I click on the CDROM I get "File Manager Error_Unable to locate 'hosts/192.168.1.5/CDROM, The path does not exist'". I can access the Drive 2, no problems. As I said, I was able to access the CDROM Wednesday and even transferred a few generic files just to test.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Wouldn't it be easier to set up an NFS share with the files on it?
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Turns out it had nothing to do with the drive or configuration and everything to do with with the disk I had in the drive...Photoshop. I put in a random dvd and test copied file in a few seconds. I just put the Photoshop disk back in and mounted the cdrom drive with no probs.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
armanox wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to set up an NFS share with the files on it?

Every way I tried I got an error that the path didn't exist. With a different disk there was no problems - both Photoshop and Illustrator did the same thing.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Classic Unix mount problem. BTW the mount authors are still looking for the "n" that's missing from the umount command, anyone stumbling across it should send it to them at once... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I have had similar problems with CD's that had a lot of Chinese filenames. Only worse, sometimes it hangs up the whole dang desktop.

Sometimes Irix doesn't like Unicode.
vishnu wrote: Classic Unix mount problem. BTW the mount authors are still looking for the "n" that's missing from the umount command, anyone stumbling across it should send it to them at once... ;)

Discreete uses sw_unmount I kept typing sw_umount for some time wondering why the piggin ell it wouldn't work!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
There's always a work around, I eventually got what I wanted up and running.

BTW, thank you Vishnu! Apparently you "loaned" me an app which I had sitting on Drive2 just itching to be installed from Octane drive2 to Origin.

This weekend you guys can stop over for beer and wings and we'll wire up the Onyx2. :shock:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote: BTW, thank you Vishnu! Apparently you "loaned" me an app which I had sitting on Drive2 just itching to be installed from Octane drive2 to Origin.

To paraphrase Jimmy Durante I got a million of 'em... :)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote:
Vladio wrote: BTW, thank you Vishnu! Apparently you "loaned" me an app which I had sitting on Drive2 just itching to be installed from Octane drive2 to Origin.

To paraphrase Jimmy Durante I got a million of 'em... :)

If I had a dollar for every time my father uttered that name.....
HP dual core 4GB 500GB