Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

parts of tardists

This info is kinda hard to find on the innertubes so I'll put it here :

Sometimes you want an individual part of a tardist. You can un-tar a tardist but that still doesn't give you anything you can use, it's all packaged up in a non-extractable manner. So the dumbass way (patented by /me) was to install the 'dist, copy what you wanted, then uninstall.

Well, that's dumb.

This can all be done from a command line and it isn't that hard :

As a user (just in case you screw up, so inst doesn't write crap into your system by mistake), here's the format :

inst -f (full path to the tardist) -r (full path to wherever you want to put the stuff) -V rulesoverride:on

Then the usual

keep *
install *
go

will extract the entire tardist to your -r location.

You can extract a single file this way also, but for smaller tardists I don't bother. If you do need to, then the usual < inst > commands will work to list the files, choose a single one to extract, and so on.

I guess it's a little late now but it would have been a big help to have just a set of nekoware release notes in some ftp directory. That way people wouldn't be downloading 20 megabytes of stuff just to get the release notes ... Thanks again, Mr Neko, for hosting all this junk. Without it, we'd be toast :(
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
option -r is the crucial part here. it also works with swmgr. also note that it'll put a var folder in whatever you specified for -r so you might wanna use an empty dir
r-a-c.de
Back in 2005 i did this to extract a single file from a tardist: viewtopic.php?t=8161#p62729

Should still work, yes?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2: