Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Delurk : Hello

Just wanted to introduce myself, I've been lurking on the Nekochan boards for a while and finally got around to joining.

I'm based in the UK and have been interested in Silicon Graphics / SGI since 1993, when I sat in front of an INDIGO at university and was won over by their sheer style and power. Since 2002 I've been collecting, reaching about 11 machines as one point. Space constraints have forced me to rationalise to 6 machines and following a recent house move I'm slowly bringing all my machines back up.

Nice to meet you all, Adam
:Onyx2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
Welcome Adam, where about in the UK?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
In Bristol, where abouts are you?
Welcome. Based on your username, would you say that's an Indigo to dye for?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
:) very good, made me chuckle.
Rhodamine wrote: In Bristol, where abouts are you?

Stourbridge
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
In the great scheme of things that's pretty close - just a quick jaunt on the M5.
Just gone past Bristol on the way back from aixminster.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Welcome aboard!
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Welcome!
:Indigo2: 200 MHz - 192 MB - R4400
Rhodamine wrote: Just wanted to introduce myself, I've been lurking on the Nekochan boards for a while and finally got around to joining.

I'm based in the UK and have been interested in Silicon Graphics / SGI since 1993, when I sat in front of an INDIGO at university and was won over by their sheer style and power. Since 2002 I've been collecting, reaching about 11 machines as one point. Space constraints have forced me to rationalise to 6 machines and following a recent house move I'm slowly bringing all my machines back up.

Nice to meet you all, Adam

Welcome!

My first experience of SGIs was also while at university about the same time, or maybe a bit later (1994/5?): a couple of days at Biosym Inc seeing visualisations of various chemical structures on a Personal Iris and a teal Indigo2, such a huge step up from wire-frame on an emulated Tek terminal! (the computer doing the emulation was an Archimedes with something like 786x288 resolution). Tried to stretch the IT budget to get an Indy or I2 but could barely get beyond the lowest spec, which was not adequate to run the visualisation software. So hopes of SGI ownership rapidly faded ...

But it did make an I2 the obvious starting point for getting a "real Unix" box in 2011, though I wish I had known to go for a purple one! I'm up to ten machines at the moment - two RPis, four Acorns, three SGIs and an unusual x86, though only the RPis, Fuel and one of the Acorns are now regularly used (the second RPi having more or less superseded the x86 for Linux).
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21