Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Newbie Intro

Hello everyone.

We'll I've always wanted some (more) cool hardware. I've dreamed about getting some SGI or NeXT hardware. It looks like I have my chance for some SGI hardware. I was recommended your site and I'm glad I checked it out.

Thanks for all the information you have yourwebsite.

Paul
welcome atriad :-)

are you looking for something specific or just wanna have an sgi period? :D
r-a-c.de
Welcome! When you know which SGI you're getting, let us know. And share pics!!
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
Welcome to the fold Paul! NeXTs are rare birds indeed, good luck with that end of the spectrum... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
A customer has a couple Visual Workstations he wants out of the house. I know it's nothing "exotic" but I'll be thrilled to play with them a bit. I think he's got 2 320s and a 540. There's two 1600SWs and who knows there could be other goodies. I'm crossing my fingers there'll be a MLA in the mix. I'll probably pick them up on Monday. Being I work in IT, I work with NT/2K (reluctantly) every now and then. I'd be most interested in putting some kind of Linux on it.
Welcome. The best SGI is the one you have. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
atriad wrote: 320s and a 540 ... I'd be most interested in putting some kind of Linux on it.

that'd make it just a pc with linux. not much sgi in there except for the logo on the case.
if you're interested in the sgi experience it has to be irix :D
r-a-c.de
I don't think the VW 320/540 were ever supplied with Linux. You got NT or W2K only.
Apart from the CPU, the rest of the machine was an SGI design, so it's not accurate to call it just a PC.
I haven't had a burning desire to own one, but they are an interesting historical artifact.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
I had a 540 some years back, very nice machine, but iirc, the Linux was flaky and had no desktop gui. Wished I'd kept the case though.

Talking of MLA's has anyone run a 1600sw with MLA from a VBOB (OCTANE) ? I'm aware that the combination works without the VBOB.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540: