Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

net install questions

during irix net installation,
when resolving conflicts, how can I select something like

'keep all'

/* there seems to be unresolvable conflicts */

-------------------------------------
Also after installing, I end up with
Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix: media not loaded

Autoboot failed.
xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix: media not loaded

Hit Enter to continue.

Is there something that will set the disk as the active partition or something like that ?
Oh well, my problem seemed to be that I had to individually select CD directories to 'open' and then just select a huge directory with everything already zipped into it under 'open' and that seemed to get irix installed

but now I get

KERNEL FAULT
PC 0XA800000020326258 EP: 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFBC48
EXC CODE: 128, 'Software detected SEGV'
Bad addr: 0x3e8, cause: 0x8<CE=0

Exactly like mine:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16728612

In my case that seemed to be a graphics board fault.
nongrato wrote:

Exactly like mine:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16728612

In my case that seemed to be a graphics board fault.

Yeah, my graphics board seems to overheat every hour, and shut down the system. After which it no longer powers on indefinitely, but swapping another graphics board in seems to solve this instantly, which makes me think 'oh it just overheated'. Both boards overheat after an hour, but setenv fastfan 1 seems to cool it down for long enough to install irix.

It's just odd to me that it functions the entire time, and then segfaults upon boot. I guess it's some sort of accelerated hardware that you don't need during boot. ( even passes hardware diagnostics hmm. )

Was it an SI board that was defective for you? What did you replace it with?
surrealdeal wrote: Was it an SI board that was defective for you? What did you replace it with?

I never replaced my EMXI. Can't afford a new one at the moment ;)

Disassembling, cleaning and replacing old thermal pads with a fresh grease helped.
nongrato wrote:
surrealdeal wrote: Was it an SI board that was defective for you? What did you replace it with?

I never replaced my EMXI. Can't afford a new one at the moment ;)

Disassembling, cleaning and replacing old thermal pads with a fresh grease helped.

And the error message went away with new thermal pads?

something like this you are referring to:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18131 ... d=ijInLtAn
Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe just reseating TRAMs(or the board itself) was a solution, but you have a certain problem: overheating so your thermal pads definitely need some treatment. I replaced mine with a generic thermal paste.
Start with re-seating the TRAMs. Saved my day twice already (with two different MXE's).

Don't tear things apart unless you have a good reason. You just risk damaging it.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: Start with re-seating the TRAMs. Saved my day twice already (with two different MXE's).

Don't tear things apart unless you have a good reason. You just risk damaging it.

oh wow that actually worked ( kind-of )

it boots now but it's a black and white image of a terminal mirrored over eachother, lots of static, and over a test-pattern : /

Since I'm able to run diags this time around from prom, it says:
RDRAM QUICK FAILED
Failure detected on the GRAPHICS BOARD in XIO slot 12
Part number info:
Part: 030-1240-003 Name: MOT20 Serial: GSJ118 Revision: C
press <Enter> to continue

I guess the board is dying (unusable, currently anyway)
[doubleposterror]
What if you run it without the TRAMs? You can, you know. It'll be an SSI and not an MXI, but if it gives a picture you know it's the TRAMs causing the problem, and not the graphics board itself.

You have to remove both (or none)
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: What if you run it without the TRAMs? You can, you know. It'll be an SSI and not an MXI, but if it gives a picture you know it's the TRAMs causing the problem, and not the graphics board itself.

You have to remove both (or none)

No, I did that and now after selecting 'start system'

the screen goes black and never turns back on. : /

No HDD activity, and can't get numlock to toggle. nothing.