Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Fuel - System disk patition

Hello,

Today I was checking the hard-disks on my Fuel with irix 6.5.28m. There are 2 harddisks.
- Hard-disk one containing one partition and mounted as the usr/people.
- Hard-disk two is the 'systemdisk'.
However it has two partitions.
+ The first partition is mounted as '/'.
+ The second partition is unmounted and has a size of 20MB.

I didn't find the use of this 20 MB partition. Did I something wrong at the installation, or is a swap partition, or has it some other functions ?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Mark
What does mount say?

World domination! Or something...
That's not the question. I know perfectly what mount means.

I only want to know why IRIX made this partition, or does I made an error in the installation process.
And if IRIX made this partition, what's the reason ?

Mark
Okay, then how about prtvtoc /dev/root

Hello,

I decided to reinstall the OS and repartition the HD.
Installation is to be done over network. Now I got new -other- problems (with sash and fx.64), but no time to solve.

Mark
Mark_G wrote:
I only want to know why IRIX made this partition

irix doesn't create any partitions. that's up to you before starting the installation. the first post there has details: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11322&p=7348669

in addition to that i'd recommend before leaving fx to resize swap and sync the label.

Today I was checking the hard-disks on my Fuel with irix 6.5.28m. There are 2 harddisks.
- Hard-disk one containing one partition and mounted as the usr/people.
- Hard-disk two is the 'systemdisk'.
However it has two partitions.
+ The first partition is mounted as '/'.
+ The second partition is unmounted and has a size of 20MB.

I didn't find the use of this 20 MB partition. Did I something wrong at the installation, or is a swap partition, or has it some other functions ?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Mark

Chances are it's swap and is where your miniroot goes. dksxdys0 is usually root and dksxdys1 is usually swap. Should be in the fx manpage.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Seems small for swap - from memory, though it's a while since I've had to fx a disk, swap starts at 128MB by default (but perhaps smaller if the disk is small?). That said, in this case a previous user might have reduced swap, thinking they had enough RAM and a better use for 108MB of storage!

Mark,
In what context do the two partitions show up? what were you using to check the disks?

vishnu wrote:
That's definitely too small to be useful as swap, by way of example my Blade 2500 came configured from Sun with 10 gig of swap.

I've wondered about this ... in the days of 4 megs of RAM, a big swap made sense. But with 8 gigs of RAM and you haven't written memory to disk since dinosaurs roamed the earth, what's the point of a big swap ?

That's definitely too small to be useful as swap, by way of example my Blade 2500 came configured from Sun with 10 gig of swap.

I've wondered about this ... in the days of 4 megs of RAM, a big swap made sense. But with 8 gigs of RAM and you haven't written memory to disk since dinosaurs roamed the earth, what's the point of a big swap ?

Firefox 3.6?

(scnr)

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
hamei wrote:
vishnu wrote:

Firefox 3.6?

(scnr)

Har... :lol:

I think it's paranoia; since Solaris has the authority to start killing user applications when RAM and swap are maxed out. Where I work, we load some truly gigantic models into apps like DYNA3D and even with 12 gig of RAM on my Blade 2500 it does occasionally thrash... :shock:

seems i forgot the info above so here it is a little later :P
the 20mb are the / partition if the usr template of fx is used.

Seems small for swap - from memory, though it's a while since I've had to fx a disk, swap starts at 128MB by default (but perhaps smaller if the disk is small?). That said, in this case a previous user might have reduced swap, thinking they had enough RAM and a better use for 108MB of storage!

Mark,
In what context do the two partitions show up? what were you using to check the disks?

During use IRIX usually mounts a swap file on the main filesystem for swap (similar to what Windows does). You can enlarge the swap partition in fx if you know you'll be using swap often and save some time (since it doesn't have to go through the filesystem), but most people have enough RAM to not need to bother.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)