Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

IRIX upgrade

Hi I am new to IRIX and wondering if anyone can provide instructions on upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19 to 6.5.22 using the SGI supportfolio.

Thanks
First you'll need to download and unzip all three of the .22 release archives. Then, throw the contents of all three into the same directory. When Software Manager (or inst) asks for the dist location, just point it to that directory. Then you can continue as you normally would for an installation:

keep *
install standard
go

P.S. Make sure you apply patch 5086 first! http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Patch_5086
6.5.19 -> 6.5.22 also requires the inst rollup patch so the system knows how to deal with the unified release streams.

Patch 5086. Available from your friendly local Supportfolio.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Thanks for the reply. I was able to find the 5086 patch and 6.5.22 overlays but none of the browsers on my O2 (netscape and firefox) are supported by the Sgi site anymore. I attempted to install a newer one from the Sgi freeware site and get a plethora of conflicts which I am having trouble resolving. Not sure what distro to use when resolving themor if there is any other way to proceed. Can anyone provide any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks
Use a {PC, Mac, whatever} to download the files and FTP them to the SGI?

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Hi Dyverize.

I have written a blog post that might help. It covers the process of upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19 to 6.5.22 using the free Supportfolio overlay files:

Installing the SGI IRIX 6.5.22 Overlay

:O2: SGI O2, 195 MHz R10K, 320 MB ram, AV1 Video i/o card, 36GB HD
jan-jaap wrote:
Use a {PC, Mac, whatever} to download the files and FTP them to the SGI?

Yep, this is what you've got to do. It seemed even more of an embarrassment to SGI when IRIX was still a sold product and the web browser provided with IRIX (Netscape 4.0) wouldn't work properly with the SGI site.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
What ftp client does IRIX use? I have the freeware discs that came with IRIX (if there is a ftp client on them) but am getting tons of conflicts when trying to install them any suggestions?
No need to install anything, there's an FTP client (/usr/bsd/ftp), and an FTP server in a default IRIX installation

IIRC an account on the IRIX system must have a password before you can log into the IRIX ftp server (by default there's no root password on a fresh IRIX installation). If you upload files from a Windows PC, don't forget to set 'binary' mode first or otherwise the PC will transfer them as 7bit ASCII and corrupt your files.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)