Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

VFO Video Format Compiler Questions

Anyone had any good/bad experinces with trying to compile custom VFO files for their O2 ?

Looking to embark on getting a wide-screen resolution to be supported for O2 and wondering if anyone has had any similar desires or achievements in the past that they wish to share the experience with.
Thanks for the link I actually have not seen it.

I see they mention MGRAS alot for the SOLID/HIGH/MAXIMPACT cards... Just curious where the O2 fits into all of this.

thisoldsgi wrote: I assume you know about http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/vfc.html .
SGIFanLongTime wrote: Thanks for the link I actually have not seen it.

I see they mention MGRAS alot for the SOLID/HIGH/MAXIMPACT cards... Just curious where the O2 fits into all of this.



Nicoya's page talks about IMPACT only.

See http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/slevy/o2-stereo/ and http://niri.ncsa.uiuc.edu/slevy/o2-stereo/highres.html for information on applying the process to the O2.

I am currently in the process of creating a 1440x900_60 mode for my O2. The monitor I have is a Fujitsu W19-1 wide TFT. My initial attempt resulted in the monitor thinking it was in 1152x864, so even though there were 1440 by 900 pixels the screen did a pretty bad job of it. I've just checked the X.org modeline that works on my Linux box with this monitor and will shortly be booting up the O2 to try again. I imagine I would be posting any results to the Usenet comp.sys.sgi. something newsgroup, though, being slightly old school...

Update... It was a complete no-brainer with Stuart Levy's instructions.

--- el snippo --- el snippo --- el snippo --- el snippo ---
% cat /usr/gfx/ucode/vfc/vfs/1440x900_60.vfs
#define ACTIVE_LINES 900
#define ACTIVE_PIXELS 1440
#define FPS 62

#define EXTRA_HBP 0

#include "TweakedBlockSync.vfs"
--- el snippo --- el snippo --- el snippo --- el snippo ---

That's all! Really! With FPS 60 the monitor just croaked, but I checked the Linux modeline I had, which resulted in a 62 Hz frame rate, so I upped that here too, the hsync freq went to 58.something kHz from the original 56, and the flat panel cooperates now!
Great stuff!

I once messed around with VFC on my Octane, to see if a [email protected] mode was possible... but there seemed to be exactly zero documentation on building [email protected] modes, I couldn't get it to work myself, and no-one else had ever succeeded!

In the end I just decided to stretch the budget and go for [email protected] - but I'd still be fascinated to know whether anyone's solved this particular problem.

(P.S. I notice that one of the available resolutions is [email protected] - does a 128Mb V12 really have enough memory to handle this resolution? I can already only use a 16bit (rather than 24bit) Accumulation Buffer due to memory constraints...)

(P.P.S. At what resolution is dual-link DVI required? Does the V12 DCD option provide dual-link?)
stuart wrote: (P.P.S. At what resolution is dual-link DVI required? Does the V12 DCD option provide dual-link?)


Anything greater than [email protected] if I remember correct. dual-link is only available on high end pc graphics cards or newer gaming cards (g70 and higher).

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
stuart wrote: (P.S. I notice that one of the available resolutions is [email protected] - does a 128Mb V12 really have enough memory to handle this resolution?

Sure, 2*1920*1200*16 bytes is "only" ~73 MB framebuffer too :-) It won't work in combination with the hardware accum buffer as the odyssey driver doesn't seem to like framebuffer + accum buffer + system buffer to approach 100MB but thats already the case with 2*1600*1200..
(P.P.S. At what resolution is dual-link DVI required? Does the V12 DCD option provide dual-link?)

It doesn't provide dual-link. 1920x1200 still works on single-link, for 2560x1600 (30") you'll need dual-link
I had a wierd problem with the DCD V12 and my Octane2. With a regular DVI cable (no dual link) and the SGI (Sony) 23" LCD monitor I could run the Octane at [email protected] Hz (xsetmon reported). However I later plugged in a new HP 23" LCD, it wouldn't support the resolution---it runs at [email protected] Hz on a Linux box. The Octane did not have a slower video format for 1920x1200, so I switched the monitors back, which is unfortunate since the HP has two DVI-I inputs and the SGI/SOny only has a DVI and an analog.

VFC is my only solution?
squeen wrote: I had a wierd problem with the DCD V12 and my Octane2. With a regular DVI cable (no dual link) and the SGI (Sony) 23" LCD monitor I could run the Octane at [email protected] Hz (xsetmon reported). However I later plugged in a new HP 23" LCD, it wouldn't support the resolution---it runs at [email protected] Hz on a Linux box. The Octane did not have a slower video format for 1920x1200, so I switched the monitors back, which is unfortunate since the HP has two DVI-I inputs and the SGI/SOny only has a DVI and an analog.

VFO is my only solution?

Weird - my V12 shows a res of 1920 x 1200 x 50 in xsetmon and several others close to that.
hamei wrote: Weird - my V12 shows a res of 1920 x 1200 x 50 in xsetmon and several others close to that.


Hmm - I have 72Hz, 60Hz and 50Hz for [email protected], but only 60Hz and 25Hz(!) for 1920x1200... odd.
stuart wrote:
hamei wrote: Weird - my V12 shows a res of 1920 x 1200 x 50 in xsetmon and several others close to that.


Hmm - I have 72Hz, 60Hz and 50Hz for [email protected], but only 60Hz and 25Hz(!) for 1920x1200... odd.

I think there's a randomizer in the xsetmon code :P I also have stuff like 1920x1154_2398r2 and 1920x1154_30f ... I suppose the 1920x1154_5994 is 59.95 herz refresh ? There's a 1920x1154_50 in here too. The 1920x1200_50 is the very last one displayed before you get the [email protected] lists ... maybe os revision ? This is 6.5.30.

If you need, squeen, I can pull the settings file and email it to you.
I run a Dell 2407WFB on my Fuel which only supports 60Hz at that resolution. I'm currently using 1900x1200_60p, which was installed by default as far as I know.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Thank all for the info. I'm out of the office this week, but when I get back I'll verify the full list of formats I have, and perhaps I'll take hamei's up on his offer. I am only running 6.5.29 right now.
I recently built a 1440x900 vfo for my Dell 2407WFP (based on a dell modeline) connected to an O2. It's a bit fuzzy for a 1920x1200 panel, but looks heaps better than any 4:3 mode stretched...!

While the O2 supports 1600x1024 on the 17" SGI, I never could get this res to work on the Dell... it just adjusted to 4:3 instead...

Hope it works (and don't blame me if it doesn't ;) ...