Everything Else

I never need to buy a scsi hard drive again

While at the scrapyard, i noticed a pile of dell poweredge 1850 and 2850 servers, they had been there a while and were on the list of things to be dismantled. Upon closer inspection, i found they were all still loaded with drives, most of the 300GB size. They did not have the equipment set up to wipe drives on site, i dragged a couple of the servers to the back room and got them loaded with drives to wipe. this is my 3rd day driving an hour to the yard to pick up drives and load up more to be wiped. Sad to see the 2850 servers are going to be ripped apart, i have one myself, pretty good machines.

Anyhow, i think that will be the last scsi hard drive i need to buy in this lifetime. If anyone has rackmount scsi enclosures, i would be interested in buying them.

I should have many more smaller 18 and 36 gb drives if anyone has a need for some of them let me know. I'm going to keep a few of the smaller drives around as spares for my indy's an indigo 2.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:
I know the feeling. Due to being in charge of local IT for a major company here over the last few years, I had first-hand involvement with the retirement of lots of old servers containing SCA SCSI hard drives (including an AS400 with thirty five 36GB 15k drives in it).

Following the wiping of all of these, I snaffled enough of the drives to keep me going for a very long time before the servers went into the WEEE skip. I'd guess I've got around 25 drives ranging from 36GB right up to 300GB.

They're preparing to wipe the old file server soon, that has another twelve 146GB to 300GB drive in it that I want :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Found a few terabytes of bog-standard SATA drives at an e-waste center. They are now being plotted for Burstcoin mining...
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image