Everything Else

Military Software

Hello! How get list for military OS, software? I want know what use now, or 1990s in nasa/military/fbi/csi in computer technology( crm, cad, office, document, any relation).
So you want us to help you obtain government military software & data do you? hmmm.. I see nooo problem whatsoever in this.. have you actually just asked the government for it? Directly?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
hAllo, it happens I have one of my hands in avionics, sometimes carry out immoral acts(1) with their software :lol:

(1)we, norm-life people, are used to call "patches" and to apply them (especially to the kernel linux, or generally, it's a common practice with open sources), but you cannot say "patches" with those dudes because Avionics MUST avoid to have any evidence of mistakes, especially when a project has been already approved (from a draft/proof) and committed: if you find then a mistake, it means that someone (going to be get fired after his/her 45 minutes of public shame) did not do his/her job properly, and a lot of bloody money will flow, because you have to call back all the aircrafts in order to "patch" them

Avionics does not apply patches, it applies "changes" due to the failures in obtaining hardware parts ( :lol: )

oh well, but I want to say: never seen an SGI/IRIX@MIPS machine there, they use PC/WindowsXP & Sun-SunOS@Sparc, software like Office, Doors, QaC, vectorcast, stood, AAL, etc

Windrivers and Green Hills are the most involved into the Avionics OS, more specifically, things like VxWorks/DO178B, Vel/OS, Integrity, … && DevChains like AdaMulti, Tornado, Workbench, plus specific ICE/PPC4xx from Green Hills and Windriver

But, as far as your request, You can enjoy A/UX, announced at the February 1988 Uniforum conference, seven months behind schedule, based on AT&T's Unix System V.2.2 with additional features from BSD Unix, and sold bundled with a Macintosh II for ~ $8500, even if the the most interesting part of this story came in 1991, when Apple formed a new business division for enterprise systems to serve "large businesses, government, and higher education".

Government OS, oh my pants :lol: :lol: :lol:
have fun
CSI is a television fantasy, you can be sure that the software pictured will never exist.
Government rarely develops software itself, it mostly uses COTS or under contract development. In the US, this is because all works of the government belong to the public.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
I guess, the most interesting part comes with mission tactical computers, also known as "MTC"
they are used in war, so they are formally war-machines, built on "strange things" like the ARINC technology

edit:
fixed
have fun
For sure, military computers are interesting. They have the widest operating temperature range (often extending from far below zero to over 60 C) and are designed for the highest availability. There are some channels on youtube with teardowns of radars and avionics that are most curious. I think you mean ARINC though, not 'ARING'. There are a wide assortment of defense industry standards from ARINC, so it describes many separate technologies.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
my personal experience is limited to ARINC 429, more specifically as alternative to MIL-STD-1553. Both of them ARINC 429 and 1553B are "communication standards" for wiring and protocols widely used in civil and miltary aircraft applications.

• The 1553 standard uses a command-response protocol along a time-division multiplexing, so within multiple nodes, it means - say sensors in the aircraft- can send their data "at the same time" along the same wire, up to 31 at data speed up to 1M.
  • The ARINC 429 standard requires separate wires for transmit and receive at nodes, up to 20 data speed 100k, which means it's not a bus in the conventional sense as it requires more than one cable, and it's more robust and hard to be destroyed

coming back to "software", well Avionics uses special software & equipment, e.g. the "APX1553 MILScope", an equipment which integrates a unique Digital Scope function with an on board ADC digitizing the MIL-STD-1553 waveform for real time measurement & storage which supports automatic test functions to meet the "Electrical Test" requirements defined in "AS4112" RT Production Test Plan.

"Test Plan", it's a common "term" in Avionics, because everything MUST be tested, and reported (Test Plan ---> Test Report ---> Product approved ), so there are special Software Applications for these purposes, one of these (perhaps the most used) is called "Doors", it's a special "committer", even if it's used like … the big brother of GIT/Subversion/Mercurial.
have fun
We, by whom I mean my fellow employees and I, wrote a lot of software for the Army's vaunted Future Combat System. SECDEF Robert Gates canceled it because it was more along the lines of fighting a massive Soviet incursion into western Europe, which at the time didn't seem too likely. Seemed like a good idea at the time, now, not so much. :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I work for a company which specializes in military and aerospace applications of IEEE-1394 (FireWire). IRIX is one of our supported platforms.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: I work for a company which specializes in military and aerospace applications of IEEE-1394 (FireWire). IRIX is one of our supported platforms.

That's a news for me, never seen Irix in my Avionics experience, only SunOS on Sparc machines && Wintel. Interesting news :D

Can I ask why Irix (on on which system ? Ip30 ? Ip35 ? …) ? I wonder where Irix is involved in the process
have fun
ivelegacy wrote: Can I ask why

Yeah, but then I'd have to kill you :mrgreen:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
deja vu, already said by a girl in black from Windriver, when I asked her phone number

she asks: why?
I answered: emmm emmm to talk about .... Windriver products, ofcourse, perhaps also about your shoe heels (15cm, at least)
and she said: in this case I'd have to kill you

so - BIG MISTAKE - I offered my phone number, including my name and surname, with a smile - call me, maybe -
and, the next day, it happened my desk got moved to an other place (25Km far from her) :lol: :lol: :lol:

lesson learned: never ask & provide the phone number to woman in black with strange shoe heels,
and never ask about her products, especially if she claims to work for Windriver
have fun