Everything Else

Halt & Catch Fire

Any other US members watch this show? Or am I the only one?
I tried to. Couldn't quite get through the first episode... maybe I was distracted. Or maybe it gets better. Does it?
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
sgifanatic wrote: I tried to. Couldn't quite get through the first episode... maybe I was distracted. Or maybe it gets better. Does it?

Same here, so much excessive drama really turned me off after a few episodes.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I like the 2nd season so far. That's mostly because I'm a Commodore fan, but I'm impressed to note that the screen displays are not unreasonable. The font is a little off, the user interface sometimes looks like the bloated spawn of an Apple II that crept upon a C64 in the dark of night, and in one eye-roller they tried programming it in ANSI C, but the technical aspects are really not bad. They've also backed off on the melodrama a bit and that helps.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: I like the 2nd season so far. That's mostly because I'm a Commodore fan, but I'm impressed to note that the screen displays are not unreasonable. The font is a little off, the user interface sometimes looks like the bloated spawn of an Apple II that crept upon a C64 in the dark of night, and in one eye-roller they tried programming it in ANSI C, but the technical aspects are really not bad. They've also backed off on the melodrama a bit and that helps.

My sentiments exactly!

The first season was a bit over-dramatic it seems. But so far in this season, it's backed down as Classic mentioned. We shall see. TBH, I'm not even sure I really like it as a whole. But having grown up with a C64 and c128 (ugh those cassette drives!), my inner nerd can appreciate the early days of personal computing. Dial-up at 300baud (0.3 kbps) on a 1660 modem...those were the days! Did eventually get the faster Westridge Communications C6420 Direct-connect modem.
Watching it, mediocre show but great costumes :)
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org
The fact that the first episode had a sex season in the first ten minutes kinda turned me away and not in a nerdy " EWWWWWWWWWWW!!! GIRLS!!!!!!! " way. It was just.....not what I wanted in the first episode to try and pull viewers in. If it got better on the next episode I didn't care by then. Went back to watching Gargoyles reruns.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I remember seeing the previews for the first season and remember wanting to watch it. I did, about the first 15 minutes and fell asleep. Never watched it again till a couple months ago when the second season started. I watched it (second season) and got hooked which made me go back to season 1 and start over. Season two is better. My gripe with season one is what u guys said - everything was over the top. I got really irritated when they finally finished the computer then burned the first shipment. Just too much. Second seasons much better and I'm into it a little.

Anyone watching Mr. Robot?
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
I did go back and watch a few more episodes. Still hate the drama. Still hate the burning of shipments - actually, the mindlessness of *most* actions by the main characters. It just makes the whole thing stupid and unreal. That said, I am in it to watch the damn computer being built :-)

Have not seen Mr. Robot. Will check it out.
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
sgifanatic wrote: I did go back and watch a few more episodes. Still hate the drama. Still hate the burning of shipments - actually, the mindlessness of *most* actions by the main characters. It just makes the whole thing stupid and unreal. That said, I am in it to watch the damn computer being built :-)

Have not seen Mr. Robot. Will check it out.

Mr. robot - USA Network
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
sgifanatic wrote: ... the mindlessness of *most* actions by the main characters. It just makes the whole thing stupid and unreal.

If anything, stupidity and mindlessness make it more real :D

You need to remember - you're in a country that's running Ted Cruz for president.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote: You need to remember - you're in a country that's running Ted Cruz for president.

Anyone with $ can run, history's full of wind-bags that threw money at a US presidency attempt. Getting past the Primaries is the challenge.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
That reminds me of a fortune(1):

Code: Select all

In America, any boy may become president and I suppose that's just one
of the risks he takes.
-- Adlai Stevenson
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
We are getting dangerously close to politics here but I'm only in it for the entertainment as a " non-citizen " - I saw a trump sticker on a juggalambo. It was brownish and the right taillight was full of water. I can't really imagine a trump sticker on anything else. Anyways, would be kinda fun if trump wins ? So many trollings and lulzings to be had!

Re HCF: I think the gold standard for this humor is The IT Crowd.
Google: Don't Be Evil.
Apple: Don't Be Greedy.
Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: We are getting dangerously close to politics here but I'm only in it for the entertainment as a " non-citizen " - I saw a trump sticker on a juggalambo. It was brownish and the right taillight was full of water. I can't really imagine a trump sticker on anything else. Anyways, would be kinda fun if trump wins ? So many trollings and lulzings to be had!

Re HCF: I think the gold standard for this humor is The IT Crowd.

You're right about politics, let's stop while we're all friends. :lol:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
guardian452 wrote: We are getting dangerously close to politics here ...

No danger of that. There is no politics in the US. It's the biggest clown show on earth.
hamei wrote: There is no politics in the US. It's the biggest clown show on earth.
And certainly China is on par.
If man would have been created out of the rib of a woman - how different would the world be?
Oskar45 wrote:
hamei wrote: There is no politics in the US. It's the biggest clown show on earth.
And certainly China is on par.

Alas, China can't hold a candle to the US in this area :( No one anywhere can compete with the buffoons populating the US Congress.

I guess that's a good thing ....