Everything Else

Machinery's Trivia :)

So, what is this thing? Do you know? Tell me! :)

looks a lot like a hole saw.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: looks a lot like a hole saw.

That was my first thought, maybe one with Quick-Lock or anything like that (look at the dual sided chamfer) but I'm still not sure. Anyone knows for sure? :)
No idea, but in the non-human world wheels (?) have evolved only once.
Why are you always invited to weddings - but never to divorces? :mrgreen:
Oskar45 wrote: No idea, but in the non-human world wheels (?) have evolved only once.

Hahah!, good point, Oskar45! ...we could consider it solved, because a wheel it is! :-)
Greetz!

P.S.: ...but now, seriously: anyone? 8-)
It's a toothed coupler, typically used to connect a motor to something that needs power, like a pump or... Something! :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: It's a toothed coupler, typically used to connect a motor to something that needs power, like a pump or... Something! :P

Yes, I thought about it too, and I'm very familiarized with such kind of semi flexible couplers. But then, does not looks slightly too narrow the gap betweet tooths? :)
First glance looks like a coupler...but I dont believe so.

If you look again, you will see wear marks running perpendicular on the teeth, around the OD/circumference. So the outside has rubbed against another surface. Having CNC experience, this is indicative of being a tool of some kind to me. Quite possibly part of a collet system to hold a tool is what I believe it is.

I can't tell in the pictures, but is it tapered? With the opening getting smaller towards the end of the "teeth"? If so, I'd be 99.9% certain it is a collet. The wear marks would be caused by the collar that goes over it, used to tighten/"close" the teeth around the tooling it was meant to hold.
Here's similar to what I'm referring to -
I would guess... rotary encoder.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Hey, by the way: Happy Independence Day to the U.S., and Happy Birthday to myself... yep... it is today! :-)
Happy birthday chap..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
GeneratriX wrote: Hey, by the way: Happy Independence Day to the U.S., and Happy Birthday to myself... yep... it is today! :-)

I just launched a pyrotechnic device in your honor, Diego! Cheers!
uunix wrote: Happy birthday chap..

Thanks! It was a fun little party! :)

josehill wrote: I just launched a pyrotechnic device in your honor, Diego! Cheers!

That explains it all, josehill... I was curious, because at first sight I thought someone was greeting to our National Futbol Team with fireworks, but then, on last minutes I noticed how wrong I was! :D Whatever; congrats to the Chile Futbol Team! Chapeau! :D

Hey!, thanks for the fireworks! ;)
zagnut wrote: First glance looks like a coupler...but I dont believe so.

Me neither! :-)

zagnut wrote: If you look again, you will see wear marks running perpendicular on the teeth, around the OD/circumference. So the outside has rubbed against another surface. Having CNC experience, this is indicative of being a tool of some kind to me. Quite possibly part of a collet system to hold a tool is what I believe it is.

If it serves as a new set of clues...

There are also wear marks running around the ID/circumference.

The shank ends into a diameter close to 11.15mm, pretty close to the end from a Morse Taper #2, but it is cilindrical.

zagnut wrote: I can't tell in the pictures, but is it tapered?

There is no thread.

zagnut wrote: With the opening getting smaller towards the end of the "teeth"?

Nope!

zagnut wrote: If so, I'd be 99.9% certain it is a collet. The wear marks would be caused by the collar that goes over it, used to tighten/"close" the teeth around the tooling it was meant to hold.

Well, the shank suggests something suited for Quick Change, I think that is a fact.

But hey!, what about some kind of nautical capstan, or ratchet mechanism?
guardian452 wrote: I would guess... rotary encoder.

Hey!, good catch! ...but why would you charge with such a mass the device to sense? And have you noticed the tiny holes all around the shank? Does not looks like the classic spring loaded Ball-Lock to provide some audio/mechanical feedback to some kind of crank-loaded device?
Three new clues! :)

Happy late birthday Diego!!!

Perpendicular wear marks in the ID could be indicative of a tool holder as well.

Nautical capstan or ratcheting device....hmmmm, possibly. I'm not familiar with anything nautical however.

How about possibly some type of centrifugal clutch, the inner race?
zagnut wrote: Happy late birthday Diego!!!

Thanks!, there is still some pie at the fridge anyway! :)

zagnut wrote: Perpendicular wear marks in the ID could be indicative of a tool holder as well.

Sure, but I think the teeth are slightly too hard and too short for a collet or tool holder.

zagnut wrote: Nautical capstan or ratcheting device....hmmmm, possibly. I'm not familiar with anything nautical however.

Think of it as the place to attach some removable crank!

zagnut wrote: How about possibly some type of centrifugal clutch, the inner race?

That looks like a BIG possibility too! :)
How about a picture with a ruler to see actual size?

thinking about it, I almost think it's a centrifugal clutch for a snowmobile.