Everything Else

Careers? - Page 1

Influenced by one of my school-teachers, I originally wanted to study zoology. Alas, when I talked to some professors at the university about that idea, they all said "Great, interesting, but you'll not have much opportunities. Pity you." So, I went off and got my Ph.D. somewhere else [never mind what it was]. During the years afterwards I nevertheless moved more and more into IT anyhow and finally ended up as SenSysAdmin of one of the most influentially international organisations in the World [for 25+ years]. But I still occasionally really regret not to have taken up zoology - it would have been so much more exciting!

Anyway, what about your own careers?
Electrical power R&D for megawatt devices; specifically high power lasers and microwaves, electromagnetic and electrothermal launchers, that kind of mundane crap... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
MD.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I have, either through my allergy to memorize-first schooling and/or immaturity at the time(still?) not got an education, but I can type pretty fast.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
ClassicHasClass wrote: MD.
no plan
duck wrote: [...]but I can type pretty fast.
Wow, could you type a Perl script as fast too?
I'm an IT Site Leader for a very large global company (who shall remain anonymous).
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Oskar45 wrote:
duck wrote: [...]but I can type pretty fast.
Wow, could you type a Perl script as fast too?

Sounds like a web app in the making there. Code speed.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
Genius, as printed on my business card.

But they hire too many idiots, so I'm quitting.
shyouko wrote: Genius, as printed on my business card.

So you're indeed job-less?

Ha! mine says "emperor of electrons" (really an EE). Although, I think I would only be an executor or grand vizier under Vishnu, as he probably deals with more electrons than me :mrgreen:

After working for a few different EV builders, I'm finally at one that is both (A) successful at selling cars (B) actually paying me and (C) privately funded. (Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice... ) The automotive landscape is littered with the dead bodies of electric car builders, nice to be in with a live one again :P

And no, I believe in as much shameless advertising/plugging as possible. 8-)
http://www.zenith-motors.com
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: And no, I believe in as much shameless advertising/plugging as possible. 8-)
http://www.zenith-motors.com

Ooh, the logo is just like Zorglub's!
Oskar45 wrote:

Nope, quitting but yet.
Hired to become a System Engineer for some Solaris clouds and GPU clusters.
shyouko wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:

Nope, quitting but yet.
Hired to become a System Engineer for some Solaris clouds and GPU clusters.
So you're just another idiot? Don't worry...you'll get over it :-)
Me? Wanted to get into game design, went to college for computer programming, spent six years not finishing a two-year degree. Got out into the workplace just in time for the immediate aftermath of the housing collapse, finally landed a full-time IT job in 2010; unfortunately, it turned out to be less programming and more sitting on my ass for most of the day editing records and running reports. Also discovered that the games industry is a vicious bastard meat-grinder of a place unless you're an independent developer, in which case it's simply a crapshoot whether you'll ever make any money at it. Currently looking for another job and seriously considering getting out of IT altogether.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
I am an apprentice metrology engineer.
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Between jobs at the moment. Studied computer science as an undergrad. Worked as a sysadmin and programmer for many years. Last nine years spent as an email infrastructure architect/owner and team manager, then technologist/strategist for messaging, collaboration tools, social platforms at a global financial services firm.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: technologist/strategist for messaging, collaboration tools, social platforms at a global financial services firm.

That's almost good enough to fill a business loto grid. I hope you made big bucks there!
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote: That's almost good enough to fill a business loto grid.

Certainly plenty of buzzword bingo over those years... Here, play along at home: Business Buzzword Bingo
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Studied mechanical engineering. Worked for five years in the field of energy efficiency for industrial customers. Coming fresh from university I thought this would be the job to change the world for better. While there are possibilities to save some money by energy efficiency, it won’t save us in the long run. Over time I got quite disillusionated and finally switched to an IT job.

Now I'm working in the support area of a company making EDM (energy data management) software for public utility companies. I’m one of the guys who is called whenever a customer has a problem with their Oracle RDBMS. While it's not the most glorious job, I have quite reasonable work hours, managed to fix my social life (which was nearly killed during my first job because of too many days spent on customer sites), and after getting some routine I have enough time to pursue - within limits - my own interests during the normal work.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:

Person A: "I'm going to hack the Internet."
Person B: "Which one?"
Person A: (dramatic pause) "ALL of them!"