Everything Else

3d scanning with Faro/Polyworks

Thought some people might get a kick of this little project. We had the point cloud man in today and I filmed him working for a bit. The files are imported into solidworks.

This is their second time out for a detail scan of holes, bolts, etc. A few weeks ago they were out with an automated machine for rough dimensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubil10f2TJg (the video was shot/uploaded with my cell phone so it may not be the best quality)

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
guardian452 wrote:
Thought some people might get a kick of this little project. We had the point cloud man in today and I filmed him working for a bit.

They probably won't be asking your advice :D but I've had two friends buy Faro arms. Both sent them back. You could probably do about as well with a calibrated piece of string.

I don't know what the appeal is, a cmm is not that expensive now.

Hi Guardian452. Thanks for sharing this video clip. :) It was really neat to watch as the laser scanner sent the point cloud data to the modeling package in a near real-time process.

I have done a few small experiments with point cloud data from photogrammetry tools like Bundler SfM and it usually takes a lot of post processing before the .PLY formatted data is worth importing into a modeling package.

:O2: SGI O2, 195 MHz R10K, 320 MB ram, AV1 Video i/o card, 36GB HD