Apple

Taking apart a PowerBook G4 12 inch - insane design

Well it's a workaround I guess, but it's also kind of cludgy to have to keep disabling Windows Update to prevent this. If only there was an option similar to Windows 7 to "notify of updates but let me choose when to download and install them"...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
The only thing that *really* worked for me is described here: https://superuser.com/questions/1110265 ... es/1111166

Basically you have to take ownership of the reboot task and deny execute permissions to the SYSTEM user. It feels like killing a mosquito with a nuke, but hey, at least it works :)

I don't have any experience with Windows 'Home', only 'Pro' here.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Just tell it that it's on a metered connection. Which is ironic because my cell phone has unlimited data.

I mean, I have a problem but it does what it is supposed to.It constantly updates by design, it's not a bug.

Whatever 'ownership' you think you maintain of windows 7 is merely an illusion. With the free upgade debacle MS proved that they really want people on 10 and they are willing to play dirty to get you there. I wouldn't trust the older systems anymore.

You basically have two options, follow MS rules and keep everything updated, or never update at all and roll your own security. I would think if you are interested in the latter you'd be better off with some foss system. But, I never understood what made 7 so great, anyways. Its the snow leopard effect all over again :roll:
guardian452 wrote: You basically have two options, follow MS rules and keep everything updated, or never update at all and roll your own security.

I don't mind to keep my computers uptodate, but an unscheduled (by me) reboot is every bit as bad a a blue screen.

A while ago, I used my PC to transcode stacks of blurays overnight with Handbrake, about a dozen or so every night. After completing the queue it should have shut down, but regularly I would find it in the morning, powered up at the login screen, and the work only partially done.

Windows updates.

That's just stupid and inexcusable. I don't care about the defaults they chose, but they should have put an override in somewhere, even if you bury it in the "I'm an advanced user and I know what I'm doing section" a.k.a. gpedit.msc
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
I'm on 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro and it works better than 10 or 8.1
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
jan-jaap wrote:
guardian452 wrote: You basically have two options, follow MS rules and keep everything updated, or never update at all and roll your own security.

I don't mind to keep my computers uptodate, but an unscheduled (by me) reboot is every bit as bad a a blue screen.

A while ago, I used my PC to transcode stacks of blurays overnight with Handbrake, about a dozen or so every night. After completing the queue it should have shut down, but regularly I would find it in the morning, powered up at the login screen, and the work only partially done.

Windows updates.

That's just stupid and inexcusable. I don't care about the defaults they chose, but they should have put an override in somewhere, even if you bury it in the "I'm an advanced user and I know what I'm doing section" a.k.a. gpedit.msc

Updates won't download on a metered connection. And you can disable updates on "pro" windows (which I dont have). You used to have much more granular options on all levels of windows, so from that pov it is a regression, but IMO there is no real alternative except for using older versions which will eventually be unsupported.

I like windows about as much as mac or linux (which is to say, not much). Honestly my biggest compaint is cosmetic: there are a number of different UI styles in use at any given time, much like Tiger back in the day (brushed metal, aqua, cocoa, etc...) but they have been improving in this department and apparently Neon is going to be a big upgrade here.
Raion-Fox wrote: I understand the Windows 10 apprehension, I feel the same way about post-Snow Leopard OS X! I'm glad you have positive experiences with Apple.

Oh, I'm not apprehensive . I just dislike it, which pretty much extends to every Windows release. Well, not Windows 2.0, because that was relatively easy to remove. The tool availability might be comparable, but the garage still stinks and that's not ever going to change.

Raion-Fox wrote: I usually park my computer in a docking station and only charge it when not in use so I never have had a particular use for it but I can tell it's a smart idea. Kinda like how Xbox did the inline release trick for their controllers, a modern CD based console would not take well to being yanked out. An N64, man those things are tanks but the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U are glass cannons. You have to be super careful with those.

I assume that's why they made the Wavebird (and later, the Wiimotes). The durability is less of an issue for wireless controllers. But I've also noticed a more "adult" affordance with such devices, which used to be the provenance of much younger hands.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides
scottE wrote: I'd sooner switch to ink, oils, and gouache for good (but I fantasize about doing that anyway)

My wife has a glass pen for her sketches, it's really nice to use. You can write a couple sentences at least with one load of ink. And you can get some really beautiful ones. If you are into line art or just doodling like me it's a neat alternative to a fountain pen.

If you are scanning in paper, the machine becomes much less important :)