Apple

Vintage hardware buying binge and other projects - Page 2

smj wrote: DS10s are quite nice, as is that O2 - and what luck that the plastic skins survived shipping intact! You'll read plenty of horror stories about them disintegrating during shipping... And quite the collection of software, too. These are generally regarded as quiet machines, so I expect you may just have a noisy hard drive or fan that could be replaced.

Minor correction, though -- SSH originated in the mid-1990s, well before Digital UNIX was renamed Tru64...

It was a real bargain for $200 that's for sure(O2). The power supply fan and the hard drive are what makes it loud, at some point I intend to fix that, but it is a very nice little computer.

As for Tru64, the reason I didn't find SSH, is because with that particular version, it had to be installed separately.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
The O2 is thankfully one of the easiest SGI systems to silence (probably beaten only by the Indy with the Sony PSU, and even then the HDDs are a bit more of a faf to sort as you need adapters for the newer SCA drives). I replaced the PSU fan in my old O2 with a quiet Noctua fan and popped a really quiet 300GB hard drive in it (snaffled for free out of a dead server at work) and it was almost silent by the time I'd finished. Overall it's a nice little machine and a great starter system for someone coming into the SGI fold! :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Trippynet wrote: The O2 is thankfully one of the easiest SGI systems to silence (probably beaten only by the Indy with the Sony PSU, and even then the HDDs are a bit more of a faf to sort as you need adapters for the newer SCA drives). I replaced the PSU fan in my old O2 with a quiet Noctua fan and popped a really quiet 300GB hard drive in it (snaffled for free out of a dead server at work) and it was almost silent by the time I'd finished. Overall it's a nice little machine and a great starter system for someone coming into the SGI fold! :)

I'm gonna buy a few SCA SCSI's and adapters. That hard drive is probably original and is long past it's rated life, not to mention it sounds like a bat out of hell when it kicks in at boot. I guess any 80mm fan with a three pin plug should work as a replacement?

The O2 is quite nice, just the case is fragile and it's 3D performance is pretty poor. But other than that it seems to be decent. Low cost of ownership and reliable hardware

Someday, I'll get an Octane as well. Rounding up the needed parts won't be cheap though.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM