Apple

iTunes palylist issue (won't sync)

So the last time I had a working iPod was back in 2007. Since then I have been juggling between several dying fourth, second, and first gen ipods until last week I finally got another good fourth gen to load my music on to.
The problem I have however is that itunes does not want to sync the palylists I have with my iPod which sucks as then I have to more selectively go through over 3000 songs and play what I want or actually look for the tuning tracks for my iTrip.
Either I'm missing a setting or Something else is skewy. Any ideas?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Do I even have to say it? Buy a zune *ducks*
Attachment:
DSC09007.JPG
DSC09007.JPG [ 17.51 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

After seeing experienced ipod users occasionally abused by itunes, ie: lose all their music, have the quicktime updater pop up in the middle of a presentation, etc... any affection you feel towards ipod/itunes is likely a result of stockholm syndrome.

That being said, let me think of the basics: Is your player OS up to date? Did you try a newer/older version of the itunes software? Have you considered buying an ipod shuffle which plays your music in random order (thus freeing you from worry about playlists)?

Quote:
So the last time I had a working iPod was back in 2007.
funny, I bought my zune in 2007, and haven't had any trouble since.

Sorry I can't give any better advice, but I have yet to see any feature of the ipod that makes it worthwhile, unless you already have an apple computer. I am curious why you would keep trying different ipods, which keep failing you, rather than move on to a different mp3 player (ie sony or sandisk). I've had lots of mp3 players over the years, and apple is second worst only to perception digital (old enough to require SmartMedia cards, and a 64MB one was huge)

edit: wait, wait... I seem to recall now, yes. If you get a new ipod/computer you must "unregister" an old device with the itunes servers. There is an arbitrary limit to how many devices you can have. I went through the same thing when my sister got her new computer. I think it is called unregister, it's up there under account settings or somesuch menu like that. Of course, you must unregister the old device that you no longer wish to use... could be tough if it is completely dead!

Okay, I'l try that tonight before I go for work so it's reloaded in the morning.

sybrfreq wrote:
BLARGH

A lot of my ipods just had the hard drives die on them. They are otherwise fine but getting replacement hard drives is tricky and unreasonably expensive.
Hmm, I was never prompted to authorize my ipod now that I recall but I don't remember if it did for my 512mb shuffle.
There is an option to "deauthorize audible account" but I don't know what that does.

Hmm. I don't see how to do it anymore.
I remember there used th be a option to authorize and deauthorize an iPod but I don't see it anymore.

Figured it out.
Turns out that I have more music than I have space on my iPod and because of that when you restore the ipod it tries to sync everything, not just checked music and when it realizes it can't sync it all it will only download a list of the most played music, sans playlists.
To fix it I restored again and when prompted to name my iPod I also checked the option to manually manage music so it would not sync immediately. After Ia pplied these settings I then unchecked manual mode, checked "sync only checked songs" (I deselected all of my Tnagerine Dream which easily ate up about three gigs of space) and applied the settings. Now it's syncing and it also synced up my playlists.

sybrfreq wrote:
Do I even have to say it? Buy a zune *ducks*

Zune?, more microsuck crap! Dude, Creative Zen's the way to go :)

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
is that one of those "dumb" players that requires you to drag and drop your music via explorer or some other file manager? No thanks. I don't like the ipod style of micro-managing every little aspect of your music but a little hand holding is nice. And the podcast updating via wifi is nice.