Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Linux NPTL: Who on the Earth planet does really need it?

edit:
Moved to linux-kernel || linux-pci mail list.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
Come on, these rants are getting silly. What's next, a rant about the pains of switching from a.out to ELF and glibc? We all need to vent from time to time, but if you are stuck with a 9 year old kernel then stay with equally old tools, libraries and what not.

The prehistoric Linux pthreads implementation you want back wasn't fully standards compliant. You *need* kernel level support for a conformant POSIX threads implementation. Deal with it, the world moved on. Long ago.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Y888099, allow me to suggest setting up a private Blog about these monologues about ancient software worlds. If you have specific questions about software please ask them here. Otherwise, people will simply ignore your posts if you continue to do this.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
edit:
removed
dexter1 wrote: specific questions about software please ask them here

So, the interest here is: I want to buy/sell/trade.
Everything else is a waste of time. Understood.
dexter1 wrote: Y888099, allow me to suggest setting up a private Blog about these monologues about ancient software worlds

A fair suggestion considering that there is no request for assistance put forward in the majority of his posts. A blog would be a more suitable format.

dexter1 wrote: If you have specific questions about software please ask them here

Yeah, that's why I suggested he post in "Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware" in the first place. Because in "Everything Else" no-one will read these long posts.

Y888099 wrote: So, the interest here is: I want to buy/sell/trade.
Everything else is a waste of time. Understood.

In all fairness to individual sensibilities (and believe me, I have plenty of my own) that is nothing but a childish response, Y888099. You have been proffered what is called constructive criticism and you react sarcastically at best.

The only question you have asked in your post is who needs NPTL. Apparently a lot of people. Mileage may vary.

That you don't need it - fair enough - and you could have asked if anyone knows how to remove the dependency. There: a specific question that would help you along with your problem.

As it stands, your post is just another rant. dexter1 is right, people will just start ignoring you. That's not nice per se but it's not like it hasn't been pointed out to you repeatedly how these forums work.

If you don't get the message when people gently point out better ways of getting the answers you seem to be needing, well, as they say in French "tant pis", bad luck.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
OP has deleted topic start post: locking thread
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: