Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

QNX+X11

QNX is an interesting ucKernel, different from linux in many aspects, including the fact that it's not open-source and you need to complete a legal procedure before you can gain access to QNX source code. More specifically (as I have already tried to do, I have been explained that -> ) you need to contact either your QNX sales or technical support representative for the details of the procedure. There is absolutely no other way (including educational proposal) to gain access to the source code: this implies that you cannot gain access to the source code unless you are a legitimate QNX customer.

I am not one of their customer, I can't play with QNX, so here we are: someone so lucky to be in business with QNX? (automotive?)
Have you ever tried to port X11 on it? Have you ever heard of any X11-terminals based on QNX+X11? Tried it? Developed them?

Let me know :)
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
Y888099 wrote: someone so lucky to be in business with QNX?

yes. lucky? mwhoa.
Y888099 wrote: (automotive?)

no
Y888099 wrote: Have you ever tried to port X11 on it? Have you ever heard of any X11-terminals based on QNX+X11? Tried it? Developed them?

of course not, we use it for embedded, real time tasks. Like (almost?) everyone else. X11 terminals are a thing of the nineties, when workstations were an expensive resource that had to be shared.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote:
X11 terminals are a thing of the nineties, when workstations were an expensive resource that had to be shared.

X11 terminals are still good when you have to leave them far from your eyes in public space, where everybody can put his/her hands on, and you want to be sure that nobody can do strange things with linux on his/her USBPendive.
Y888099 wrote: X11 terminals are still good when you have to leave them far from your eyes in public space, where everybody can put his/her hands on, and you want to be sure that nobody can do strange things with linux on his/her USBPendive.

You probably have no idea what QNX costs. With QNX there's a one-time licensing fee, plus an annual fee. Both are significant.

Depending on the number of junkies in your city it would probably be more cost effective to put a brand new MacBook in that public space, then, when it gets stolen, you put a brand new one. And again. Etc.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Most people these days use RDP or Citrix thin client terminals for that sort of use case. There are a bunch made by Wyse (now owned by Dell), HP, etc. They're just cheap PCs with a Linux based or custom OS, and you can usually turn off the peripheral ports (which in any case aren't used for much except HID or printer pass-through).
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]
I need to develop a new product. In the theory I am the hardware guy, the one who designs the PCB. In practice I am also the one who deals with software (and I am not so skilled, but hey? they say "stay in budget") :roll:

Elf wrote: Most people these days use RDP

Of course, but I can't use RDP, I need X11.

Elf wrote: Citrix thin client terminals for that sort of use case

I also need to integrate an ISO7816 SmartCard reader for authentication. The next generation of products will have encrypted smartcards (thanks God not contactless, the RFID technology goes more complex), and a picture of the owner printed on the card.

Currently I am working with AT24C128SC-cards (they are I2C EEprom chip on ISO7816 shape, directly wired without any protection) handled by TDA8029 chip. Basically it's a customized MPU on smd chip. Already designed a couple of PCBs and built a prototype, I am dealing with the software side.

Elf wrote: Linux based or custom OS

Well, I have some skills with linux, and I am putting a kernel on a powerpc-4xx prototype. I'd like to experiment other solutions, if possible. QNX sounds good, but, in order 'to stay in budget', I am afraid I am doomed 'to stay with linux' :cry: