Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

New MIPS desktop

:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
Surely.

But will it be available oustside Russia?
Interesting. But I already have a dual 64-bit-MIPS-machine.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Geoman wrote: already have a dual 64-bit-MIPS-machine.

Octane2? Octeon?
have fun
Octane2

And why isn't there an R18.000 out there already?
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
In this article (dutch) it is mentioned that the Tavolga company aims this products at government facilities and industries who for security reasons do not want to rely on american or asian hardware products.

The use is probably limited to desktop/client systems, though nothing is stopping them from making a server version. Not sure if the processor has to be redesigned for 64 bits for that, since you need Physical Address Extension for accesing memory beyond 4GB.

And hey, it runs Debian :)
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Очередной "отечественный продукт". Таволга, водка, медведь и балалайка :)

They added crypto acceleration for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOST_(block_cipher) so its targeted for secure applications, but the SoC is not designed all in house and manufacturing lies outside of Russia, so I'm not sure they can trust it enough.
Geoman wrote: why isn't there an R18.000 out there already?

because the whole world, 9 billion people (including this topic), is waiting for Arise :D

I can imagine the wild power of 4096 Arise cores inside a single chip, like in the epiphany family

for things like this

mini epiphany cluster, 4 Parallella boards stacked on MPI

which adds an unbelievable power on your fingertips just under the sticker:
yo man, now you have the power, play if you dare

I suggest a second sticker to be applied just under the previous sticker:
use it carefully
have fun