Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

scalable fonts in X

Moving forward on the fonts project, everything seems good except for one small thing ...

Added a new Type1 font, it works perfectly in DPS apps (PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc.)

I then added it to X under /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1. Manually added an entry to fonts.scale then did mkfontdir to create a new fonts.dir. Also manually added the font to ps2xlfd_map. Maybe it's wrong but looks exactly the same as the other entries. Then as root xset fp rehash.

Now the new font shows up in xfontsel but if I select it, I get kicked out of X. I have a vague recollection that DPS required at least one bitmap font which matches the scalable font, for some reason. Is this an X requirement, is my memory bad, or did I just screw up somewhere ? Have double-checked everything, the font is listed correctly everywhere (as far as I can see), it works fine under DPS, but under X kerplowie. Do you need to add a fonts.alias with some specified scale to X scalable fonts, or am I blowing it some other way ?

edit: for the record : had to be a bad font. I just dragged am OS/2 pfb font over, pfb2pfa-ed it, put it in the /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 directory, added it to fonts.scale by hand, did < mkfontdir > then < xset fp rehash > and viola, shows up in xfontsel perfectly, even without an afm file and no bitmap accompaniment.

So must have been a problem with the font itself. yay.
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...