Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Linux distro opinions - Page 2

Random question (sorry it's a tad off-topic), but have you tried Pale Moon? Available for Linux and Windows, uses the classic "Firefox" interface (it's a fork of Firefox 24, so no awful Australis), but is up to date with security and other feature updates. And as some newer addons are more problematic with old FF versions, there's a Pale Moon specific addon site which contains more compatible stuff, including some addon forks. I use it with AdBlock Latitude, which is a ported version of AdBlock Plus. Works a treat!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
zagnut wrote:
Alver wrote: I wouldn't go for Ubuntu because of its obvious unfitness out-of-the-box for slightly older hardware, but it all comes down to taste. :)

If you've never checked out Manjaro, I recommend it. It runs well on older hardware.

Shame the ISOs are x86-64 and i686, which again rules out older hardware (though I guess that should be "very old" hardware plus old hardware that lacks the full i686 instruction set! - like my Via C3). Same problem with Arch and (recent) CentOS.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
hamei wrote:
guardian452 wrote: Linux mint left a foul taste in my mouth ...

Do you suppose there are enough people in the kermyooonity to create a "distro" <spit> that's quality-centric ? It would be a lot of work but there's really nothing out there like what Linux used to be, or Irix, or BeOS or even classic Macintosh. It's all such avaricious shit now :(

Or is personal computing well and truly dead ?

http://sta.li looks promising, but probably over ambitious for casual use. Up-and-coming OpenBSD 5.8 will support my thinkpad's wifi card with their new rtwn(4) driver which looks more interesting to me. ;) I used to run OpenBSD on an old Satellite (i586) and it is also "quality-centric".

http://suckless.org/philosophy
Google: Don't Be Evil.
Apple: Don't Be Greedy.
Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.