Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

what is "QMAGIC"? (in System V Unix system)

Just dug my RISCiX boxes out for an airing. Acorn R140 (4MB RAM, upgraded to ARM3 and SCSI in place of ARM2 and ST506) and A540 (16MB RAM, ARM3+FPA). Not great for Unix as the page size is 32KB so you don't get many pages in 4MB!

The R140 refuses to start at all; the A540 started OK in single-user mode, but on trying to go multi-user, it did a disk check, rebooted itself and was reporting errors relating to a "QMAGIC table". Not sure whether it's a disk check issue or something entirely different. Google finds nothing under "unix qmagic" so I wondered if anyone here had any ideas what it refers to.

Have had to reset the machine; it's now in single user mode running fsck!

TIA,
Andrew

Regards

HDC

Yes, thank you. I had searched for "qmagic" and "qmagic unix" - talk about overlooking the obvious!

I was able to reboot successfully, but then noticed that the multiuser login text mentioned 1.15 whereas the kernel is 1.21c - I think the disk in question has become an awkward mix of the two versions (1.15 for the R140 before its ARM3 upgrade). Fortunately I have another disk with a cleaner 1.21c installation, and a dump of an R260 to fall back on as well. After stripping down to the motherboard, removing and _firmly_ reinstalling the ARM3/MEMC1A/RAM daughtercard (designed for an A310 to overcome its 1MB limit, but used here to replace the m/b RAM which has a problem - the ARM3 was a bonus!), the R140 booted as well - which is how I know about the relatively clean 1.21c disk! But that was most of the day gone ... leaving time only to discover that RISCiX and a ColourCard don't mix, even though the CC passes through standard Acorn screen modes.