Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Google ditches Windows

just bumped into this while travelling: Google ditches Windows on security concerns

Quote:
“We’re not doing any more Windows. It is a security effort,” said one Google employee.

“Many people have been moved away from [Windows] PCs, mostly towards Mac OS, following the China hacking attacks,” said another.

New hires are now given the option of using Apple’s Mac computers or PCs running the Linux operating system. “Linux is open source and we feel good about it,” said one employee. “Microsoft we don’t feel so good about.”

In early January, some new hires were still being allowed to install Windows on their laptops, but it was not an option for their desktop computers. Google would not comment on its current policy.

Windows is known for being more vulnerable to attacks by hackers and more susceptible to computer viruses than other operating systems. The greater number of attacks on Windows has much to do with its prevalence, which has made it a bigger target for attackers.

Employees wanting to stay on Windows required clearance from “quite senior levels”, one employee said. “Getting a new Windows machine now requires CIO approval,” said another employee.

iirc, sun got (gradually) siphoned when google ditched their hardware for cheap, velcro-mounted, components à la carte…
Somewhere on the net I seen a picture of a lcd screen at google running goobuntu
A heterogeneous system is always more robust (and probably more capable as well).
Good for Google!
It makes sense, since Google is right now basically competing with Microsoft in almost all their product markets. So I assume they rather eat their own dog food than give business to Microsoft.

BTW, I don't think google was ever a big SUN shop. In fact, I think they have always ran commodity no-name HW + customized linux + gfs from the get go.

Security wise, I am sure Microsoft will also use several hacking incidents involving google.

I most certainly could not have seen Apple having a higher market cap than Microsoft at the beginning of the decade

at you?"
r-ten can't really remember the details (might as well be a memory fault o' mine) but there was a buzz around tinseltown for a while. sun's suits were hanging around, playing the micro-soft game before the sell-out.

all tech analysis/commentary over to you guys

(one of the most puzzling questions of mine still stands: how on earth do people go back to work after witnessing one of steve ballmer's "presentations"?)
fu wrote:
(one of the most puzzling questions of mine still stands: how on earth do people go back to work after witnessing one of steve ballmer's "presentations"?)

Easy: microsoft's gives out very nice checks with lots of figures in them. :-)

Believe it or not Ballmer actually knows slightly of what he talks about, when compared to the rest of "luminaries" that make up a big chunk of the CEO rooster in corporate America (although I assume it is not a purely American phenomenon). Which is reaaaaaaaally scary if you think about it.

at you?"
R-ten-K wrote:
...(although I assume it is not a purely American phenomenon).

of course not, ol' mcdonald had a farm, then he found a way to pitch the idea of subsidizing chickens worldwide

R-ten-K wrote:
..Which is reaaaaaaaally scary if you think about it.

beautifying fear is our game, when the suits funk up, they come to us to fix some pr/ads for them. there's nothing like a suit in fear trying to play cool on camera. ironically, few of them do startups as "independent studios" while trying to find what to do w/ their MBA.

sigh
Note: If you came to this thread looking for the discussions about:

• SGI's use of Jot and Presenter
  • Microsoft Office displacing Persuasion, Harvard Graphics, and Lotus 123
  • Whether or not Microsoft has done anything worthwhile with Office since 1997
  • etc.

I split those into a new topic, " Windows/Macs & Office, Jot & Presenter, Adobe, Ancient History ".

Cheers,
jh