IRIX and Software

Einstein@Home for IRIX

Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum. This is just a quick message to inform IRIX users that I have the distributed computing project Einstein@Home's client built and tested for IRIX.

If anyone is interested in searching for gravity waves using their SGI, feel free to contact me to get the binaries.

If you want to learn more about Einstein@Home, here is their website:

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

Best Wishes,
Gaurav

gkhanna-at-umassd.edu
Welcome to the forum khanna!
We already have a seti@home team, and a Einstein@Home is also nice, or might this seperate the group too much?
At least nice to know it's possible.
:O2: Toika :O2: Myra :O2: Fiona :Octane: Lisa :Octane: Sandra :Indigo2: Danica :Indy: Giana :O200: Lara :O200: :O200: Iona :O2000: Aida
I'm looking for a useful task for my SGI"s when they are on and this sounds better than Seti or Distributed.net.

Any chance you can get them loaded to the website?

thanks

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Hi

As requested, here are the binaries for download. These include the boinc client and the Einstein@Home application and a configuration file that lets the SGI connect to the server to get work and send results. You'll need to setup an account with the project first. Let me know if there are any issues. Its been working great on my O2 for quite some time now.

http://gravity.phy.umassd.edu/~gkhanna/eah-irix.tar.gz

I value the science behind this project more than SETI, thats why I worked on porting the application over. Right now, I have the only IRIX machine crunching for this project. It would be nice to have some more ..

Regards
Gaurav
Thanks, just pulled it down and will get a machine working on it.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Okay, i've downloaded, unzipped now what do I run. When I try to run the boinc_client from the command line it tells me there is another version running already. So I rebooted and tried again same thing.

Some pointers please.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
When I try to run seti@home on my octane when in KDE, it says there's another instance running, but on another user without KDE it runs fine.
Maybe this could help.
:O2: Toika :O2: Myra :O2: Fiona :Octane: Lisa :Octane: Sandra :Indigo2: Danica :Indy: Giana :O200: Lara :O200: :O200: Iona :O2000: Aida
I don't know if this helps you .. but since the graphics on the application are not enabled yet (working on that!) you'll need to start boinc like this:

./boinc_client -no_gui_rpc
Well, I think I have it working finally.

It will only run as ROOT. When I try and start it as another user it complains that another instance is already running (when there isn't one).

It seems to be waiting for data and isn't actually running right now.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
How much time does it need to complete a workunit on Octanes or Fuels ?
Huhuuuuuuu, anybody out here ? :(
ulenz wrote: How much time does it need to complete a workunit on Octanes or Fuels ?

Specify a processor and speed of said processor
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
Thanks !

R12000@400 Mhz (Octane 2)
R14000@600 Mhz (Fuel)
Boinc only wants to run as root, as a user it complains there is another version running.

Boinc_Enstein just sits there and never finds any work.

Please explain how you installed it and how you got it to work.

thanks

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
thegoldbug wrote: Boinc only wants to run as root, as a user it complains there is another version running.

thegoldbug

Really? I don't have this problem, I'm runnung as a user...

-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<