IRIX and Software

Invoking thunderbird from Firefox.

I was using the Mozilla suite on IRIX until a few weeks ago, when somebody at SGI told me about Nekochan. I soon found foetz's builds of firefox and thunderbird, which I have already been using on other platforms because, well, firefox is better than IE, Safari, etc. Thanks, foetz! One thing I can't do yet in the foetz version of firefox is use "Send Link" to email a link by invoking Thunderbird, or create an e-mail button in the Firefox Toolbar. Can someone tell me how to install or enable this capability?

Thanks!
glennmeyer wrote: I was using the Mozilla suite on IRIX until a few weeks ago, when somebody at SGI told me about Nekochan. I soon found foetz's builds of firefox and thunderbird, which I have already been using on other platforms because, well, firefox is better than IE, Safari, etc. Thanks, foetz! One thing I can't do yet in the foetz version of firefox is use "Send Link" to email a link by invoking Thunderbird, or create an e-mail button in the Firefox Toolbar. Can someone tell me how to install or enable this capability?

Thanks!

IIRC we already have a thread about the issue when someone clicking on an url in thunderbird and how to start FF than instead of old netscape or mozilla. The solution was to put some config value in the main configfile from thunderbird. I expect there is a similar for the other way too. When using 'about:config' in the address bar you can see a lot of settings. Maybe there is already one without the right value.

regards
joerg wrote:
glennmeyer wrote: I was using the Mozilla suite on IRIX until a few weeks ago, when somebody at SGI told me about Nekochan. I soon found foetz's builds of firefox and thunderbird, which I have already been using on other platforms because, well, firefox is better than IE, Safari, etc. Thanks, foetz! One thing I can't do yet in the foetz version of firefox is use "Send Link" to email a link by invoking Thunderbird, or create an e-mail button in the Firefox Toolbar. Can someone tell me how to install or enable this capability?

Thanks!

IIRC we already have a thread about the issue when someone clicking on an url in thunderbird and how to start FF than instead of old netscape or mozilla. The solution was to put some config value in the main configfile from thunderbird. I expect there is a similar for the other way too. When using 'about:config' in the address bar you can see a lot of settings. Maybe there is already one without the right value.

regards

Ok... maybe I'm missing something, and if so I apologize in advance. But glennmeyer's question in this thread was how to start thunderbird ... or more specifically clicking on a link in somebody's webpage to send a mail and have *that* open up a thunderbird message compose window.

What you're saying in your reply, and the thread that Hakimoto pointed us to is the thread to do the *reverse* - how to kick off an instance of firefox when clicking on a url inside an email message.

In that thread referenced, it definitely is clearly shown in more than one way how to do this (although I personally like my way that I posted... :) ). But that thread doesn't seem to have anything to do with glennmeyer's question in this thread about kicking off a message compose in thunderbird from firefox.

I too would very much like to know the answer to this question. Has anybody out there actually done this successfully?

-chris
cjones wrote:
joerg wrote:

Thanks!

Ok... maybe I'm missing something, and if so I apologize in advance. But glennmeyer's question in this thread was how to start thunderbird ... or more specifically clicking on a link in somebody's webpage to send a mail and have *that* open up a thunderbird message compose window.

What you're saying in your reply, and the thread that Hakimoto pointed us to is the thread to do the *reverse* - how to kick off an instance of firefox when clicking on a url inside an email message.

-chris

Chris,

You're not missing anything, and what you say is exactly what I'm trying to do.

FYI, I HAVE Linux versions of Firefox that do invoke Thunderbird, without my having to do anything to configure them. One runs on Mepis Linux and the other on Libranet, and both are Firefox 1.0.4. I have yet to figure out why the Thunderbird can be invoked from the Debian version but not in the foetz/SGI version.

Glenn
cjones wrote: Ok... maybe I'm missing something, and if so I apologize in advance. But glennmeyer's question in this thread was how to start thunderbird ... or more specifically clicking on a link in somebody's webpage to send a mail and have *that* open up a thunderbird message compose window.

We all have understand glennmayers question and i only have said that it should can works in the same way as describe in the thread hakimoto postet.

Specifiy URL:Mailto-Protokoll in the configgile and point to the thunderbird executible(or start script).

A long time ago i have enabled mozilla mail as my client in this way. "/opt/mozilla/mozilla" -compose %1

I dont says that this is the solution.... i only would show a way to find some :)

regards
Joerg
To answer my own question, here is what I had to do to enable the e-mailing of links from firefox using thunderbird. The following lines were added to Firefox's prefs.js.

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "<fullpath>");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.mailto", true);

prefs.js is a file in the user's ~/.mozilla/firefox/<...>.default/ directory, and <fullpath> is the full pathname of thunderbird on your system. For example, on my system it is /usr/nekoware/thunderbird/thunderbird .

prefs.js should be modified after you shut down firefox, or you can add the entries in the about:config page while firefox is runing.

As for finding out why I couldn't add a mail button to my Firefox toolbar, so far I only know that I need a different jar file from the one included with the foetz release. For grins, to test Java protability, I copied a file from a linux system, which gave me a button, but not one that works. ;)
Thank you glennmeyer! I did the same thing in my prefs.js file and it worked like a charm! It's nice to finally be able to click on one of those 'email me at... ' hyperlinks in a firefox window and have my thunderbird message compose open up.

Sweet!

-chris