IRIX and Software

Steal foreign XVM disk...

After leaving these dormant for years, I'm planning to revive a couple of SCSI disks from an XVM array that was originally attached to my Origin file server long ago ... I vaguely remember all the fun I had back then with the logical volume manager GUI, obviously programmed in java 8-) , esp. there was a "steal foreign disk" function that would come in handy now.

However, I can't find the lvmgr on the Fuel I now plugged the external disks to.
It once was invoked from somewhere in the toolchest ... yes, I love GUIs - at least, this is silly cone gfx :-)

A "hinv" shows the external disks as "XVM Foreign Disk". Hardware ok, then. About the related system software:
eoe.sw.xlv, eoe.sw.xlvplex and eoe.sw.xvm are installed, as "inst eoe.sw." clearly shows.

The command "xvmgr", however, is "not found", nor is "/usr/bin/xvmgr" ... and I don't remember where else it could be.

What am I missing here eventually?
TIA
Valueing life is not weakness; disregarding it is not strength. -Mirage-
edefault wrote: What am I missing here eventually?

You should install XVM instead of XLV. It's on the IRIX discs (eoe.sw.xvm).
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
installed are *both* eoe.sw.xlv and eoe.sw.xvm ... but where is the starter button?
Or should I reinstall eoe.sw.xvm on spec eventually? Which of the CDs does it come from?
Ah, the GUI. It's on the IRIX 6.5.xx overlay discs. Look for sysadm_xvm.
Instructions: https://techpubs.jurassic.nl/manuals/06 ... 889-PARENT
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
thanks a lot ...
sysadm_xvm is already installed as well, still, I have no clue how to invoke the GUI.

Anyway, I got my task done through the xvm CLI. JFTR (and in case I later need this again):
from the "hinv" output I knew that there were disk 4 and 8 on controller 2.
xvm started from a shell, I issued

xvm:local> show -v dks2d4

that gave me a hint what the former machine name was ("RUTH", here)

xvm:local> steal RUTH dks2d4
phys/dks1d4

whatever that means ... same thing with dks2d8.
then I had to forcefully remove the xvm label through

xvm:local> unlabel -force dks2d4

and voila! The two raw disk devices appeared in Disk Manager.
Now I can make use of it again

Case solved! Though not through the java GUI :-(