IRIX and Software

Installed 6.5.22m, but uname -R still returns previous version.

I just went through a release update on the maintenance stream from 6.5.19 to 6.5.22 on my been-a-long-time-since-last-boot-because-I-was-busy-playing-with-the-Altix-350-beast Indigo2 R10K. Inst completed successfully, and I rebooted appropriately. However, uname -R returns:

Code: Select all

r10k 13# uname -R
6.5 6.5.19m
r10k 14#

Going back through inst, it seems like the overlays installed properly (they show as S instead of U in the list inside inst, and they showed as U the first run through inst). The install was from 6.5.22 tarballs downloaded from supportfolio while 6.5.22 was still available.......

My install media is the 6.5.19; should the uname -R show me 6.5.22, or am I missing something?
Image Image Image Image Image Image
i assume you did apply patch 5084 in advance?
r-a-c.de
5086? Yes.
Ok, thanks to user hamei I got pointed to the correct direction.

For whatever reason, /unix was left in place and was the 6.5.19 version, with the 6.5.22 version as /unix.install. Doing a cp /unix /unix.old and then a cp /unix.install /unix seems to have done the trick, and the system now reports 6.5.22m to a uname -R.

It might have had something to do with the Phobos E100 drivers that I had started loading years ago (yes, I do have the E100 in the machine, but it wasn't being recognized as fe0 until I pulled /unix.install over correctly).
Strange, when installing new hardware the system usually triggers an automatic configuration of the unix kernel, and will switch to that kernel after reboot. It seems that the system did reconfigure the kernel, but did not switch the kernel, which you had to force manually.

I've looked it up in http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... /ch10.html :
Apparently an /etc/autoconfig -f will kick the system into making a new kernel which suits your current hardware configuration.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Ok, thanks. I am a bit speechless as to how long ago I had originally started the install...... I bought the 6.5.19 in February of 2005, and the I2 a week or so later ($111.48 plus shipping from eBay seller sunnking....), and then installed IRIX in March 2005. Last boot was, yep, you guessed it, 2005. Yow. So I picked up the install a bit less than eleven years after I started it and pulled the IRIX 6.5.22 overlays down from supportfolio.....

And the beast just started up like it was supposed to, at least with a serial console (my 13W3 to VGA adapter and my KVM/monitor don't like each other, but I have an SGI monitor I can hook up.....). Hinv to the appropriate place.....

Thanks all!
dexter1 wrote: Apparently an /etc/autoconfig -f will kick the system into making a new kernel which suits your current hardware configuration.

not what he needs. he had a unix.install already which is the result of autoconfig so all what's needed was putting the new kernel in place as correctly pointed out by hamei
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
dexter1 wrote: Apparently an /etc/autoconfig -f will kick the system into making a new kernel which suits your current hardware configuration.

not what he needs. he had a unix.install already which is the result of autoconfig so all what's needed was putting the new kernel in place as correctly pointed out by hamei

Not Hamei, but Hamei's ghost. he's not here anymore yet he still influences us, mere mortals, via invisible means. :lol:
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
:-)

Can you say 'PhantoM?'
Additional information:

I did a fresh install of 6.5.19 on one of my O2's, and upgraded to 6.5.22 using the same procedure. The same thing happened as with the Indigo2. But this time I was expecting it, and knew what to look for.

On the O2, I used the GUI Software Manager, and let it do an automatic install of the 6.5.22 overlays.