IRIX and Software

freeware music software

Hello! Anybody have succesfull migrate or compile - SuperCollider/Csound/PureData/JackAudio/Ardour on IRIX ?
No, but IRIX already has a fairly complete set of digital media tools, see for example: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... front.html

World domination! Or something...
there are binaries on the net for Csound, tiMIDity, Rosegarden, Cecilia, CAST, cmix, PD... maybe some of them are dead links now.

IRIX binaries? Seriously? :shock:

vishnu wrote:
robespierre wrote:
there are binaries on the net for Csound, tiMIDity, Rosegarden, Cecilia, CAST, cmix, PD... maybe some of them are dead links now.

Yep, older ones but still good. Rosegarden started on IRIX.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
vishnu wrote:
robespierre wrote:

Looks like they went to the dark side (qt and kde) a long time ago...

vishnu wrote:
SAQ wrote:
vishnu wrote:
robespierre wrote:

Looks like they went to the dark side (qt and kde) a long time ago...

Well, you know, they finally got some developers who really knew what they were doing and noticed all this bizarro big-endian gunk and a whole bunch of includes that weren't present on their Linux boxes, obviously put there by someone who was blotto and completely unfamiliar with how computers are set up. That kind of useless cruft is just asking for trouble, so you strip it out. Then you add in the latest and greatest MS or Apple-look UI library to show you're up-to-date and things are great, right?

That said, my only big problem with Rosegarden (or many other Linux sound apps) is that they like to use these audio "management" layers that are about as durable as a balsawood house in Florida. IRIX DM may be proprietary, but it seems to work pretty reliably.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
That said, my only big problem with Rosegarden (or many other Linux sound apps) is that they like to use these audio "management" layers that are about as durable as a balsawood house in Florida. IRIX DM may be proprietary, but it seems to work pretty reliably.

Admittedly the switchover from OSS to Alsa was painful, it took me days to get the AC97 hardware on my Tyan S2668 to start working again, and it still goes completely wonky from time to time. In fact, something I've been meaning to look into for a while is if there's a command line util that can get the hardware to reset itself to it's basic initialized state...

I found csound, puredata here http://www.prizvuk.hr/software.html

Here about compile - http://www.csounds.com/ezine/winter1999/internals/

And some another music software.
SAQ wrote:
Well, you know, they finally got some developers who really knew what they were doing and noticed all this bizarro big-endian gunk and a whole bunch of includes that weren't present on their Linux boxes, obviously put there by someone who was blotto and completely unfamiliar with how computers are set up. That kind of useless cruft is just asking for trouble, so you strip it out. Then you add in the latest and greatest MS or Apple-look UI library to show you're up-to-date and things are great, right?

that's how it's done :lol:
neat comment ;)