IRIX and Software

Firefox: Image xyz cannot be displayed .. contains errors

I mentioned this in passing on another post, but I was having trouble with FF loading any largish picture* on a fresh install of 32-bit 6.5.22. Instead of displaying the image, it would give a message like:

Code:
Image "xyz.jpg" cannot be displayed because it contains errors.

I suspected this was an 'rqs' problem (later confirmed with a little work with 'par'). The first time around (hummingbird, first link) a thorough 'rqsall' fixed it. Later I tried to view an even larger picture (Raphael's School of Athens, second link) and it broke again. Trying another complete 'rqsall' didn't fix that.

So I tried this instead, and all seems to be OK:

Code:
#use sh or bash

ldd /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-bin | grep neko | cut -d'>' -f2- > /tmp/fflibs.txt

#stop and examine the contents of fflibs.txt before running this

for f in `cat /tmp/fflibs.txt`; do
rqs -m -f -l 0xa000000 $f
done

I just typed that so probably worth check for typos. If anyone else hits the same thing, I hope this will help. I had tried requickstarting a library at a time, but gave up and just moved them all as above. For more details on the fundamental problem, try searching for rqsall and 0xa000000. There are some old posts lurking around that gave me the idea to begin with.

*Links:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 1-edit.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... zio_01.jpg

The quick fix is to close Fireflop and reopen it. That solves the problem for a while ....

Talk about a dirty fix. :roll:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote:
Talk about a dirty fix. :roll:

I agree. But Fireflop has so many serious problems that spending a l0t of effort on this small thing when you can fix it by closing and reopening is not very productive. You're welcome to do things the hard ways if you like, though, Pentium :)
FWIW, closing and reopening never helped for mine. I imagine it is a question of exactly where the offending libraries have been located in the address space.

With my setup, at least, when it starts doing that "such and such a jpeg cannot be displayed due to errors" trick, it is going to crash bigtime very very soon. That error seems to be indicative of a three-legs-broken, just-hasn't-fallen-down-yet situation. So I close it and repen at that point and it's usually okay for a while. With javascript turned off it manages to go longer between episodes of
Code:
urchin 3% WARNING: core: firefox-bin: PID 57478, failed to write a  text area (core file deleted)
moz_run_program[36]: 57478 Bus error

I've also got a huge list of blocked */*ads* domains in my fail.cnf file, which helps somewhat ....