IRIX and Software

Unable using LAN in PROM

When I stop to the maintenance I can't use the LAN so I can"t install systems on my octane.
If I boot on IRIX, the network works well, but in the Prom, I'm unable to ping py others computers. I try "resetenv" and reset the netaddr and srvaddr but no changes: it doesn't work!
nuts wrote: When I stop to the maintenance I can't use the LAN so I can"t install systems on my octane.
If I boot on IRIX, the network works well, but in the Prom, I'm unable to ping py others computers. I try "resetenv" and reset the netaddr and srvaddr but no changes: it doesn't work!

Network trouble shooting in prom mode can be a bit confusing as there is no easy way of assigning IP number and checking that the Network Interface is working.
In prom mode your wont get an IP number until you try to netboot your computer.
I usually check my DHCP server if it handed out an IP number to my SGI computer and then ping the SGI computer from another machine if I want to verify the connection.

That said I'd never had an SGI with a built-in NIC that didn't boot from an IRIX bootp server if it was connected in the same switch as the SGI.
It usually just works.
As a netboot server you can either use another IRIX box and set it up for netboot, or use the virtual applience "DINA" running on a PC.

Good luck with the trouble shooting.

//HArry
Mein Führer, I can walk!
Found in this post
miod wrote: The PROM ping command does not use ICMP packets as (almost) everything else does, but tries to connect to the ``echo'' port (#7); I don't remember at the moment if this is a TCP or UDP connection.

Many Unix-like systems nowadays have this port disabled; if you want to use the PROM ping command, you will have to enable it on your system (look in inetd configuration).
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:
Moderator's note: I changed the thread title from "Unable using lan in PROM" to "Unable using LAN in PROM."

I kept having visions of poor Ian Mapleson , dressed in a Tron outfit , trapped in an Octane PROM.
Do you suspect that Ian would have a race in "flight" or would he be trapped in "Battalion"?

Back on topic, the best way to troubleshoot is to check the link lights, then set up a BOOTP server for the SGI to try for and look at the logs. If you didn't want to do that you could sniff for the BOOTP packets somewhere on the network as well.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
The PROM ping function does not use icmp, but tcp echo service (port 7). If you want to confirm the PROM network configuration is correct, use tcpdump, and don't try to ping the SGI from another machine.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
I've made a virtual machine that runs ubuntu amd64 for a server install. and it doesn"t work. I retry with DINA now to check if it works
resolved i had a bad configuration file on my tftpd server