IRIX and Software

neko_xscreensaver - gdkpixbuf / cairo / pango errors

Have just finished rebuilding my Octane 2 with a fresh instance of 6.5.0 with the 6.5.29 overlay set on a brand new 15krpm disk - it's all nice and lovely now.

I've also added a few bits and pieces from a just nekosync-ed nekoware repository... this included xscreensaver and rss-glx for thepretty .

Trying to start xscreensaver-command -prefs throws up a whole load of cairo / pango / gdkpixbuf errors in the console and the preference window shows square characters instead of text - clicking on the left preference pane (the one which would list the actual screensavers) causes the application to crash.

Any ideas? I don't have a dump of the error at the moment but will attempt to do so this evening.
:Indigo2IMP: [ R10k-195/MaxImpact +TRAMs/896Mb/73Gb-15krpm/G160/6.5.22 ]
:Octane2: [ Dual R12k-400/V8/2Gb/73Gb-15krpm/6.5.29 ]
Ok, image of the font/image problem here:

The actual output in the terminal is:

Code: Select all

[Sulfur]:~ $ xscreensaver-command -prefs
Error reading Pango modules file

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
'/usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font, expect ugly output

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called with bad font, expect ugly output

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_metrics called with bad font, expect ugly output

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_font_map called with bad font, expect ugly output

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-CRITICAL **: file pangocairo-fontmap.c: line 196: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)' failed

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called with bad font, expect ugly output

(xscreensaver-demo:2813): Pango-CRITICAL **: file pangocairo-fontmap.c: line 196: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)' failed

the file /usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules was indeed blank after the install in swmgr (and I had errors about missing gdkpixbuf modules), but I added a modules line to the file to point to where the pango .so modules are located... now no more gdkpixbuf errors and the xpm images show.

The final issue is that when you click on the left hand pane (which would normally show the list of available screensavers, the program terminates and spits out the following debug info in the terminal:

Error: Cairo does not yet support the requested image format:
Depth: 32
Alpha mask: 0x00000000
Red   mask: 0x000003ff
Green mask: 0x000ffc00
Blue  mask: 0x3ff00000
Please file an enhacement request (quoting the above) at:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=cairo
Assertion failed: NOT_REACHED, file cairo-image-surface.c, line 155, pid 2813
Abort

Is this a known issue on VPro hardware? If not, then what have I broken and how do I fix it! :D
See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16719893 amongst others ... (Nekoware FAQ Q1.0, on the download page ).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I'm already in depth 24 unfortunately :(
I'd suspect that neko_fontconfig is broken. Downgrade fontconfig and/or verify that fc-cache works.
Tried later versions of cairo, fontconfig, freetype and gtk as in nekoware beta, no luck; got segfaults on launching xscreensaver and fc-cache.

Removed those versions and reinstalled the versions from nekoware current and I now have fonts showing in xscreensaver and the preference pane no longer crashes the program.

Bizarre, but it's working now!
Megatron-UK wrote: Tried later versions of cairo, fontconfig, freetype and gtk as in nekoware beta, no luck; got segfaults on launching xscreensaver and fc-cache.

I don't have xscreensaver but fc -cache does this

fewel 1% fc-cache
Segmentation fault

Haven't noticed any other problems with the /beta versions of cairo, fontconfig, etc tho ...

Removed those versions and reinstalled the versions from nekoware current and I now have fonts showing in xscreensaver and the preference pane no longer crashes the program.

I just noticed that I have both fontconfig 2.3.2 and 2.8.0 installed. Umm, isn't the newer supposed to supercede the older ? Except in rare weirdass cases ?